Susumu Kimura
just completed demo reel
on Jul 19, 2005 at 11:16:59 pm

hi! This is my 1st post.
I've recently become a freelance editor/motion graphic/rotoscope artist
in los angeles.
here's the link to my demo reel:

http://beloit.at.infoseek.co.jp/pages/reel.html

Sorry for the ad above. it's a free webhosting.

Here's what I am wondering about my reel:

1) How's the compression? is it acceptable?
2) How's the site (i know it's pretty vacant)? do u think it's worth to create a good looking site, spending time & money on that?
3) does it showcase what I do (editing, graphics, rotoscoping, composite, titles)?
4) does it make you want to see more of my work?

Any comments (seriouly, anything) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

Susumu

Return to posts index

Matt
Re: just completed demo reel
by
on Jul 20, 2005 at 12:57:22 am

Yea, the compression seemed fine for me, maybe a larger framesize would be nice.

Well, wether you should develop a site or not has many schools of thought, but if you push your graphic design skills, it should be easy to brand your identity and I think it can be effective. At least a home page to hold all the necessary info Resume, Contact Info...I was confused at your banner at the top...not sure what you are trying to do.

I saw little to no samples of editing...These days everyone calls themselves an editor because they own and operate FCP or the like and they "Butt-Cut" unrelated images into another music montage...an editor it does not make. Looks like Titleing and Roto is your most obvious skill, I would have doubts based on your reel to edit my documentary or short format, unless i was producing and could stand over shoulder. i like editors who really add somthing to the mix then just a button pusher...did not feel that from your reel.

Not sure if I would look at more, maybe on a VERY slow day...but If I had anything else to do I would move on...

When I see Reels from NYC or So Cal, I want to be wowed, the type of clients and budgets on the coasts should yield some special work for good talent...you had some cool bits but crediability fell short for me, other then Roto samples, the montages looked unrelated, shared no style, and I was not sure what you did on these National Productions...real editors live for sound and image relationships and cues, movement and timing...no nat sound or soundbites left me wondering about your editorial theory and ultimatly your depth of expierience...

The Graphics Section kinda fell short for me, the first sample takes to long to reveal and I found it to be without payoff...

I love your titles...I think this is your strength provided you designed the titles on your reel, I would specialize in a market like LA...again your titles are from impressive clients and look great...show me the process you have to design like sketch to finished product and I would be on board...Leave me with somthing more then I started with and I would want to look for more.

I think you have the foundation to have an effective specialty that you can market more easily and land more work as a result...

Just my thoughts
Thanks for posting...Overall Impession: Better then most in a medium market
MATT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]