FORUMS: list search recent posts

First time posting a reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam F
First time posting a reel
on Jul 14, 2005 at 8:45:19 pm

Hello all,
I've finally gotten enough materials together to post a reel on here for some feedback. I currently work as a promo producer at a cable news channel. I've only been in my current position for a year now (previously I was working as a Director/TD), however, I have a lot of art and design in my background and education. Any feedback you guys might have I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for taking the time.

http://homepage.mac.com/adam.fowler/DEMO2005/

Adam Fowler

Return to posts index

pwaszak
Re: First time posting a reel
on Jul 15, 2005 at 2:15:56 am

Very clean and nice! I like it!

Return to posts index

Christian Remde
on Jul 15, 2005 at 6:49:05 am

Great stuff man...my only issue would be that, beacause it's all from one source (the TV station) it all seems to look the same after a while...if you have anything else that you could put between the shots from the station that might help that...

Otherwise, it's all great work!

Christian Remde
http://www.christianremde.com

Return to posts index

Adam F
on Jul 15, 2005 at 1:35:44 pm

Thanks for the positive responses. I do agree that it needs something other than "News, Weather, and Sports". Unfortunately, that's all the stuff I have to this point. I'll have to sit down and come up with some fictional spec work or something. Thanks again for your feedback.

Adam Fowler

Return to posts index

peter
on Jul 21, 2005 at 7:19:41 pm

In the APPLE SUITE MUCH very clean, Looks Great

Return to posts index

Gregg Brent
on Aug 9, 2005 at 3:42:35 am

Well if you want some feedback besides looks nice i'll give some. I think you have a nice talent for timing and using effects but i feel the substance was missing.. it was like hard to connect the dots or to figure out what i was looking at.

I point out some parts where I felt this..
i liked the beginning.. sports cutouts great..

I had no idea what that next shape was? i really feel the graphics have to have some logic or organic connection in these types of scenes. I first thought it was a tabbed folder!

the next sequence with the weather.. what were the monitors and equipment underneath have anything to do with anything! like the beta deck has something to do with up to the minute weather. the two don't jive.. you can't just throw in images..

why is there timecode running down the side of a talking head?

Your wakeup weather background looks like sunset.

What is the graphic with "your schedule"?

"sports team" and 'your news now' are nice.

I hope you don't mind all this feedback. I get tons of these tapes etc passed over my desk so I see alot. I think you definitely have talent for this (get out of producing!) but I would say need to work on conceptual side of work, not just the mechanics.

just my two cents.. ok maybe a half dollar..

Return to posts index

Adam F
on Aug 12, 2005 at 10:49:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback Gregg. It is helpful to hear some specific criticisms other than just "looks good" and "I like it". I mean, that stuff is good to hear, just not very helpful. I posted my reel so I could get some specific feedback. So, thank you. However, and without trying to sound too defensive here, I think some of your statements are unfounded. This is, after all, a "Motion Graphic Montage" reel...not a producers reel. I have a whole other 3.5 minute reel for that. Keep in mind that you're watching quick snippets of a longer :30 spot. You're not seeing or hearing these animations in their original context. I posted this reel to get feedback on my timing, mechanics and techniques as an animator, which you said appealed to you. Thank you. I would, however, hold off on the producing critiques and recommending I quit my job until you've seen my producing reel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]