FORUMS: list search recent posts

DP reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Farris
DP reel
on Jul 10, 2005 at 9:18:24 pm

comments and constructive criticism welcome, I plan on adding better beginning and end tags but for now this is it. Thanks in advance.

http://www.visionsoflightinc.com/pages/montage_reel.htm

Joseph Farris
Director of Photography
Visions of Light, Inc.
Office: 312-829-8244
Pager: 800.808.8244
Mobile: 630.306.8244
Fax: 630.690.7678
http://www.visionsoflightinc.com
joe@visionsoflightinc.com

Return to posts index

reggie prescott
Re: DP reel
on Jul 11, 2005 at 12:51:19 am

is it all video original footage?

Return to posts index

Joseph Farris
on Jul 11, 2005 at 3:16:42 am

Yes, everything was shot on the panasonic varicam @ 24p

Joseph Farris
Director of Photography
Visions of Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

reggie prescott
on Jul 11, 2005 at 3:53:09 pm

the stuff looked good for video original. curious, do you also work with film? reason i ask is the DP title is being thrown pretty loosley these days. not that it's a bad thing. really just curious. i cut a spot that was shot HD video a little bit ago. the production company was freakin out because it was their first non-film job and it was for a pretty big client. the producer said it took twice as long to light properly because of the narower contrast ratio. i thought it really looked good in the end. kind of real and filmic at the same time. worked well for the concept. a little bit of a departure from their other stuff. everyone was kind of holding their breath until they saw the footage. pleased in the end.

Return to posts index

Matt Abron
on Jul 11, 2005 at 3:53:19 pm

Reel Nice, I love that Varicam...

Beautiful Setups throughout, first class lighting...very solid, great use of natural light and depth of field...wow you must get your hands on some nice glass...Love the "looks" and color work done on many of your subjects/setups...

I wanted to hear some Natural sound, people's voices, things that keep me "pulled-in" ... I see that you do narrative/feature/fiction film setups, but certainly on occasion you must set up and light interviews???
love to see sit down i-views setups, I think many producers like to see that stuff when going through reels if they have those needs,

I could live with a touch more diversity in your shot selection...advertisments, a couple of scenics, macros

Just my 2 cents coming from an editor

Take a look...
http://www.whiterabbitproductions.com < select HD Demo Button... I produced and edited this Varicam "Demo" by interviewing a DP, take a look, still feel like the opening is too long but I gave into that battle with the client...

Cheers
Matt

Return to posts index

Joseph Farris
on Jul 12, 2005 at 4:46:26 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words. I definitely agree with the nat sounds matt, I'm in the process of learning logic 7 so when I have a clue as to what I'm doing with the program I may attack the mix :) I definitely feel like I need some interviews unfortunately most of the producers run off with the tapes after the day of shooting, I may just need to set a few up for reel purposes, same thing with the scenics.

I liked the HD demo, nice job. Thats a great idea to help get producers on board with the new technology.

Reggie- I do work with film but very seldom. Unfortunately or fortunately for me (since I own the camera) a lot of the indie's are going hd because of cost savings. I actually try to steer people to film for certain shorts but they they tend to gravitate right back to HD. I tend to work a lot with first time directors so I think it has a lot to do with being able to see exactly what there getting when there on the set, especially for someone shelling out the cash from their own pocket. The DP term has been thrown around quite loosely recently but i don't think it has so much to do with the format as it does what kind of projects you shoot. if you shoot commercials, music video's, features... your a DP regardless of what format you acquire on. Now if your shooting the latest reality show I'm not so sure that title applies. Thats just my opinion and everyone is free to have their own.

Joseph Farris
Director of Photography
Visions of Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jul 18, 2005 at 5:34:47 am

Joseph,

Nice work.

Who is the artist for the music you used under the montage demo piece?

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Ryan Koo
on Oct 6, 2005 at 12:07:50 am

I believe it's Modest Mouse - Float On

(off the top of my head, could be wrong).

Great job on the reel. HD at its best.

If I had to nitpick--and I wouldn't except that when I post my own things wanting feedback, I want people to nitpick--I'd say that watching the reel on a computer monitor (meaning, LCD and the associated gamma, instead of a CRT) I wanted more light on the fill side of people's faces, and in the eyes. Like I said this is probably due to a darker computer monitor, but that's my $0.2.

Best,
Ryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]