FORUMS: list search recent posts

Artists' Websites (possibly O.T.)

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
union
Artists' Websites (possibly O.T.)
on Jul 5, 2005 at 5:26:57 pm

What is everyone's feeling about a designer/animator putting together their websites, that is, designing them and creating all the elements, and providing animations for timing, effects, etc. -----> BUT! because they (me) don't know flash or any web authoring software well enough to do it justice, would use another person or facility to publish the site. Does this damage the credibility of the artist, should we know web authoring too?

Return to posts index

reggie prescott
Re: Artists' Websites (possibly O.T.)
on Jul 5, 2005 at 9:32:53 pm

i don't see any problem as long as you are not selling yourself as a web designer.

Return to posts index

Christian Remde
on Jul 5, 2005 at 11:13:43 pm

I actually really dislike sites that are too overproduced for what they're supposed to be. If you're a web designer, then make a cool, complicated site that does everything, but if you're an editor or a motion graphics person, it's not important.

I don't think you have to know Flash and Dreamweaver to create a good looking site that shows people your work. As long as it has a link to your reel and information about you and the work you've done, I think that's enough...there's a lot to be said for simplicity and a direct approach. When I see too much smoke & mirrors, it makes me think that someone is trying to misdirect you into thinking they're better than they are...

Return to posts index

reggie prescott
on Jul 6, 2005 at 3:26:00 pm

i agree about the flash thing, to an extent. i just revised my personal site into a demo reel and contact info. http://pupo.com/kelly i can use both flash and dreamweaver. both great tools. i had something more flashy, but that got in the way of the work. it really was more of a tinker toy to learn flash in the first place, so it did serve a purpose. i think it is important for us to learn web based applications as much of our work will be seen on the web in the near future.

i also designed both a flash AND a basic html site for my place of employment . again, wanted to give a quick option over the flash site for those not interested in flash. i do think the flash site is important as a sort of branding tool/feeler for 'slice editorial'. which is why we have it. http://sliceedit.com

tanx
kvl - editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]