COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FVM2
eighteen going on nineteen, working on an internship
by
on Jun 29, 2005 at 3:01:27 am

hows it going people?

great.

i have a dilemma. need some tips on how to impress a post studio here in atlanta, and im not exactly sure how to "wow" them when i don't have a demo reel.]

im going on 19, and have a lot of nice random crap, but not enough to throw together a good reel.

i wish they would almost give me a "challenge" and say --- make this, do this, and we will give you a call if we like the end result.

so anyways, i decided to scan in a logo of theirs, and then try and add some flare to it.

starting point: http://www.fvm2.com/starting.jpg
the end result: http://www.fvm2.com/sample_render.mov

so yeah, i dont really know what to do.
i guess, if you could offer some advice to me, as to how to get their attention, so i look like could actually contribute to them, instead of just being another intern to run through them.

thanks guys,
much appreciated.
j.

Return to posts index

joshua spool
Re: eighteen going on nineteen, working on an internship
on Jun 29, 2005 at 12:02:41 pm

unfortunatly being an intern is like being a pledge in a fraternity. you are constantly getting shit on. The best you can do is just take what they give ya, do it to the best of your ability, learn what you can and use the resources available to you to better your knowlege. If they offer you a job, great, if not than at least you can walk away knowing you're better off for having interned there.

J-

http://www.jmsdigital.com

J-

Return to posts index

plasma
on Jun 29, 2005 at 3:05:18 pm

showing reels of bad work to folks shuts doors, relationships open them. avoid the reel thing with an internship. they know you're entry level. once in, get to know the people well without being pushy. be friendly. be johnny on the spot. be quietly passionate about what you want. and then show some people your work for honest feedback, and take good note to what they have to say. i don't care if what you have is the best thing in the world. your piers love to be listened to. to be respected. even if they won't admit it.

new technology is making it possible to find different ways to build a reel, make relationships, and get the jobs without the facility route. so also keep an eye out for that option. though it's always best to be actually working with others in your field to gain precious experience rather than reinventing the wheel alone.

good luck.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jun 29, 2005 at 3:16:54 pm

j,

You might have the creative lust to get started but what all employers require is actual real world "EXPERIENCE". Dealing with paying clients' is an art in itself which can only be learned by in the field hands on experience.

No facility is going to risk a client by exposing them to a beginner unless of course you are the owner's son.

Make your best asset your personality and dependability. Whatever you do make sure you are the best it at. In time your reputation will make you invaluable and get you noticed.

You need to "network" and built up relationships first then "introduce" your creative skills to those who can get you to the place you want to be.

Good luck,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

pwaszak
on Jun 29, 2005 at 4:30:37 pm

Plus, you have a lot of time left . . . jeez, only 19!?!? Most people don't even know what they want to do in life until they're in their mid-20's. You definately have an advantage there.

I'd keep plugging away at it . . . do work from home, experiment with new techniques, and learn as much as you can from the internship. Also try and emulate what you see on other people's reels and TV, so you know how it's done. Try to bring what's 'hip' right now to a new level. If you show the right attitude and degree of skill, I'm sure they'll start giving you projects to work on. You can start building a reel that way.

And most of all, ASK QUESTIONS!!!!

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]