Help breaking into Motion from Print Design

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kp
Help breaking into Motion from Print Design
by
on Jun 22, 2005 at 7:53:45 pm

Hi all,

I am currently working as a print graphic designer for a financial magazine and find myself becoming more and more bored with each passing day. I feel like my my creativity is not only stagnating, but actually degressing. From what I have seen, the motion graphics industry is producing some of the most interesting design these days, and the more I think about it, the more I want in.

I know that I have the necessary skill set or at least the ability to learn. With two college degrees...a B.A in Telecommunications (Audio, Video, Web Production) and a B.F.A in Visual Communications (print design fundamentals; typography, color, compostion)....it seems like motion graphics is the area of design where I will be able to use all of my abilities to the fullest. I had a short internship using AfterEffects, but aside from a few basic lessons, it was pretty much worthless.

How can I make this transition from print to motion? I am too old now to get another internship. I suppose that I could do some spec projects on my home computer, but without access to expensive equipment and programs, it seems that my extremely hard work will still look amateur at best. Does anybody out there have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
kevin

Return to posts index

pwaszak
Re: Help breaking into Motion from Print Design
on Jun 26, 2005 at 11:04:39 pm

Hey Kevin,

I had a similar background as you . . . I started as a print designer, doing a lot of corporate work. At the same time, I was going to school at SVA here in NYC. I had a hard time finding a job after college (it was post-9/11), and ended up freelancing in both print and motion graphics until I finally landed a full time motion graphics job which I worked at for about 1 1/2 years that really boosted my skills. Believe me, it's a hard field to get into.

If I was you, I would look into attending some classes at SVA, particularly weekend classes. They weren't the best back in the day, but they have made leaps and strides in the quality of their curriculm. I'd also do a lot of spec work in your spare time. Try at the beginning to emulate what you see on commercials so you can figure out how a certain technique is done. And most importantly, ASK QUESTIONS!!! Especially on a board as great as this one where everyone is will to help and offer criticism. You should be in a great position to jump into the field with your background . . . after all, I always equate After Effects to Photoshop with time, so you should pick up the basics in a jiffy.

Hope that helps!

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]