FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reels for Documentary Editing??

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jessie Morrissey
Reels for Documentary Editing??
on Jun 21, 2005 at 3:34:11 pm

I am trying to get an editing reel together, and i'm having trouble finding good examples of documentary/drama/music video style reels.
Any direction you could point me too? Again, im looking for strictly editing, not flashy graphics and animation.
Thanks

Return to posts index

plasma
Re: Reels for Documentary Editing??
on Jun 22, 2005 at 3:17:53 pm

no flashy graphics or animation? what are you crazy?! you can't get a job if your just an editor. geeze. just kidding of course. here's what i do for my editor reel, granted it's a spot reel http://pupo.com/kvl_demo simple intro with name/logo, 5-7 spots, simple end logo/name. in your case, i would pick the best bits that show your talent as an editor. think emotion. think clear message. think concept (if you can in a clip, otherwise the first two would do). most of all keep it around 5-6 minutes or less. shorter is sweeter. less is more. you don't want people to remember you for the bad stuff, which they will.
good luck
kvl

Return to posts index

John
by
on Jun 23, 2005 at 4:24:57 pm

If you are someone that doesn't have a much to put on a reel, you are dead on, but I tend to disagree with you length of 5 to 6 minutes if you have a lot of material. If I am sending out my commercial reel that is fine, but if I am send out a long form/documentary reel it is about 8 to 12 minutes. Why? Because I put a minute to minute and a half montage together highlighting the sexy elements that I have done, ie. opens, logos transitions. As for the rest I will put a couple of segements together of the longer form pieces. The reason I do this is to showcase my storytelling abilities, the pacing, the shot selections, timing, nat sound, music and transitions.

Return to posts index

plasma
on Jun 23, 2005 at 6:03:26 pm

i disagree with your disagreement, which is why we have these discussions :-). your reel is one of hundreds a prospective client has to look through. like a resume. if the first minute isn't working, it's trashed. and wasting that precious minute not showing "the work" on its own is not a good thing. only put your best stuff on the reel. even if it's one thing. prospective clients will remember you for the bad more than the good, unfortunately. and the bad will hurt you next time around, even if better stuff is on the next reel. if you have too much good stuff, then make a sacrifice to keep the reel quick. and i'm not sure why so many folks but there contact information on the reel, that is what the label is for.

just my humble opinion based on my experiences over the years.

Return to posts index

Abehjha
on Jun 24, 2005 at 2:27:01 pm

I always start with a short montage, 30-40 seconds which includes my info- just my preference, but i understand Kelly's point. I'm a long form doc editor so i grab a ten minute VHS tape and put about five scenes from five different docs on it.

-abehjha

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 24, 2005 at 9:14:10 pm

Here is my documentary reel for you to see an example. It has a 30 second montage at the open to "wow" the producers, then another 6 min of content.

http://homepage.mac.com/comeback/professional/iMovieTheater17.html

I agree with the short reel concept. Keep it under 7 min...any longer and the producers get ansy and wonder "When will this end?" I have sat with many producers when they were looking at reels and know this first hand...

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
on Jun 25, 2005 at 1:45:27 am

Hey Shane. I saw that doc on Hell that aired on the Discovery channel. Pretty cool that you worked on that. Nice job!

Return to posts index

Marina Popova
on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:05:47 pm

Unfortunately, I can't open your link, have any idea why?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]