FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help me convince a friend's boss to go FCP on a Mac instead of cheap PC NLE

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Stan
Help me convince a friend's boss to go FCP on a Mac instead of cheap PC NLE
on Jun 1, 2005 at 11:26:49 am

I am an avid FCP user and would like some additional support from the COW Community to help back up a friend in the industry. He needs to justify the purchase of an FCP system to his boss. Their format will be mini DV. His boss wants to buy a cheap, PC based NLE system, but yet he is expecting a quality product. Any comments supporting the purchase of a G5 with FCP would be highly appreciated. Any recommendations on minimum system requirements would also help.

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
Re: Help me convince a friend's boss to go FCP on a Mac instead of cheap PC NLE
on Jun 1, 2005 at 9:22:06 pm

Can't help you out, mate. The Mac and FCP certainly do great work, but it's quite possible to do "quality" work on a PC, too. I currently run Vegas and Pinnacle Liquid Edition on a PC, and I'll stack up the results against any FCP project.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
on Jun 2, 2005 at 1:27:25 am

I use Pinnacle Liquid Silver, along with AE. I !!!HATE!!! pinnacle liquid silver. I WISH we could change to a decent FCP setup. I don't think it has anything to do with Mac vs PC though. I'm sure there are many good PC setups, including Premiere Pro. I guess it comes down to setting up your system corretly. Don't expect to have no problems because it is mac though. Expect problems with Pinnacle Liquid Silver. argh.

Return to posts index

Michael
on Jun 2, 2005 at 4:07:04 am

If all they are doing is DV...good grief....Mac systems would be overkill...a least in the expense department...don't get me wrong, I cut promos every day on a dual G5 with final cut (10 bit uncompressed), but I could do it a lot cheaper on a PC if the footage was only dv.... (actually with the new decklink cards....hmmmm) The core problem with the Apple/Mac route is the hardware (CPU etc) You can get a bit more juice on the PC front for the money...sorry...:(

Return to posts index

plasma
on Jun 2, 2005 at 3:10:05 pm

sounds like the boss doesn't want a mac platform mixed in with his biz. if he can get the same results with a pc platform (dv output) then he should probably go with a pc.

now, if the editor is strongly against pc for creative reasons (i know i very much prefer to work on a mac based media composer over pc) then he needs to explain to the boss why it will make him a better editor, creatively speaking, and also if will effect his speed. and also, if the editor just doesn't want to work on the pc application, then maybe he should work elsewhere? a machine is a machine in the end. and it really is up to the boss in the end. you just need to prove to him it's better to go one way over another. which you are trying to do here, but as you can see, many editors use both pc and /or mac with various editing applications. which is why it's hard to argue the subject to the boss.

me? i prefer the media composer on the mac. fits like a glove.

kvl

Return to posts index

James M. Murphy
on Jun 5, 2005 at 1:33:51 am

The problem with Mac versus PC discussions is that they tend to turn in to Religious arguments.
Mac guys love Mac's PC Guys love PC's etc etc.
Basicly you are looking at this backwards.
Totally forget the Hardware.....
Momentarily forget the Software....
What is it that YOUR Clients WANT From YOU!
That dictates What Software you Want and The Software dictates what Hardware you want.
Really simple..No?
Murph

Sell the Talent you have to communicate effectively through graphics. Use the best tool suited to accomplish the Job.

Return to posts index

Jim Mulleder
on Jun 2, 2005 at 8:14:19 pm

There are some good discussions about this in the discreet edit forum here at the COW, just search the posts. The folks at the edit forum are real pros. Our dualie G5 is on the way with the FC production suite. We shoot Beta and a little dv. Time will only tell if this was the right choice. I know a few people that are very happy with PPro at this point.

Jim

Jim Mulleder
Techical Producer
http://www.telestudios.ubc.ca

Return to posts index

charles
on Jun 3, 2005 at 4:55:17 pm

Sorry, my vote is for a duel processor PC and Vegas6 + DVDA.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Mythprod
on Jun 4, 2005 at 4:33:49 am

I'm in agreement with most of the others. Mac's hype is impressive but really won't be that much "better" than a PC, especially if they already know how to work the PC, and their options most definitely will be limited on the Mac (you -better- like FCP if you're on a mac ... heh).

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Andy George
on Jun 6, 2005 at 4:06:25 pm

Looks like you might want to wait untill this rumor is either squashed or confirmned before convincing anyone to move to a mac.

AG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]