FORUMS: list search recent posts

Comments on trailer?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Baron
Comments on trailer?
on May 24, 2005 at 10:43:39 pm

We just finished editing a trailer for Indestructible, a documentary we are making about ALS- Lou Gehrig's Disease. It's a motor-neuron disease that is usually fatal within 3-5 years and has no known cause or cure. The movie explores how the disease affects patients and their families and ways they try to fight it.

Here's the link:

http://www.indestructiblefilm.com/trailer/trailer.html

Return to posts index

phil
Re: Comments on trailer?
by
on May 25, 2005 at 3:45:06 pm

to be honest, i couldn't finish the trailer. it made me too sad. but its nice to see someone make a documentary on something that is affecting his life. he knows how to tell it best, and think that'll help with the whole thing. it looks very interesting though. good job.

Return to posts index

charles
on May 26, 2005 at 1:43:15 pm

This is extremely well done, and hits me personally due to a similar neurological disease. I wish you all the best success with this film, and I look forward to seeing the full length when it

Return to posts index

Vinnie
on May 26, 2005 at 3:01:28 pm

I have not even watched it yet I am still waiting for the download. I dont know the reason for a 7 minute web trailor. I am not trying to sound mad or anything but the web is not a place for something this long. OK I am going to watch what I have downloaded so far but that is it I dont have that much time.

Alright, so you have this really powerful message that I thing EVERYBODY should here. And it looks great and is very moving. I mean very moving. I think you are sitting on a winner here. I would please ask you to cut this trailor down make it more emotional buy not letting the viewer...breathe...really. Tie the most emotional shots together and put some heart tugging musice behind it and send it to everyone. Enter it in everything. I think it could get some real attention. Just cut down this trailor to about 2 mins or less, so the suits will watch it.

Good luck, I want to see this on CNN one day....soon!

vinnie

Return to posts index

Tim Baron
on May 26, 2005 at 7:31:11 pm

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. I guess I should have posted a warning about the length. We decided to make it longer than a normal trailer because most of the money has been raised through small, individual donations. We will probably prepare a shorter one in the future, but right now, we can't really put any more time into it.

Thanks again for taking the time to watch it.

-Tim

Return to posts index

plasma
on May 27, 2005 at 5:18:33 pm

i would shorten it to a minute and a half. my uncle was diagnosed with ALS six months ago, and he's slipping fast, at least i think it's fast. i wish you the best. it's a terrible disease to witness let alone be the victim of.

kvl

Return to posts index

Ken Knowles
on May 29, 2005 at 2:01:17 pm

It appears that you have two purposes that you are trying to achieve with this trailer. The first is to get people involved with the issue and donate to complete the film. The second is to get people to watch the finished documentary.

Because it is so long, it is like a short film. This does well to solicit donations. However, it gives little reason to watch the entire documentary because you have summarized it for the viewer.

Make two trailers: One to solicit donations that you would send to potential donors; and the other to build interest in watching the documentary. The first would give your donors a reason to invest in your project. The second would get the crowd to see your documentary which would convert some to your cause.

Hope this helps.

Ken Knowles
Knowles-McNiff

Return to posts index

Brian Haines
on Jun 1, 2005 at 4:33:58 am

A very touching trailer. It is well done, but as others have said, I must agree that it is too long. You don't have any 'teaser' element to it, as the saying goes. The visual effects coupled with the movie create a nice combination and I personally look forward to seeing the full documentary.

Return to posts index

Dana Vion
on Jun 1, 2005 at 6:07:49 pm

This is an incredible piece of work all around and, from what I saw of the trailer, we should be seeing it winning lots of awards. The trailer totally makes me want to see the film, and that is what it is supposed to do. I am making a documentary myself right now, and it is the first time I have told a somewhat personal story in my work, so I kind of know the courage it takes to lay yourself bare like that. Good luck with the film, and with this "adventure" life has given you

Return to posts index

Dana Vion
You are editor?
on Jun 1, 2005 at 6:15:01 pm

Just realized you are the editor, so I'm sure you will pass well wishes on to Ben Byer. Also wanted to comment on the excellent compression. It looked and sounded great on my cable broadband connection. Do you mind sharing any secrets to your compression success? Sorenson? Hiring someone else to do it? Any info would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tim Baron
Re: You are editor?
on Jun 4, 2005 at 5:51:10 am

Thanks Dana. I'm actually kind of surprised it ended up looking as good as it did. I'd be happy to tell you any secrets if I had them, but we're just working with Avid Xpress and the codecs that come with it. I just spent a lot of time doing a lot of tests trying to get the file as small as possible while still looking good. We ended up using Sorenson 3, though actually, I found that mp4 looks even better and has much smaller files. The only problem was that too many people had problems playing it on their computers. Unfortunately, I have no idea where my notes are from when I did this, or I'd be happy to tell you what the settings. All I can say is that the QT file we made was about 9 gigs and the compressed file came out to a little over 100 megs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]