COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Glawe
Something revised, something new....
on May 24, 2005 at 11:43:11 am

Hey, gang....

I've revised the Overview to my demo, which you can see here:

http://homepage.mac.com/christianglawe/iMovieTheater5.html

I know there's been the discussion before about whether a reel should be a montage (like what you see above), or a collection of spots, segments, etc.

So, I've put together a reel of spot work (plasma should like this), which can be seen here (Warning - about 16 Mb):

http://homepage.mac.com/christianglawe/iMovieTheater6.html

Go ahead, folks, give it to me both barrels.

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
svpchris@yahoo.com

Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

RJ Hannigan
Re: Something revised, something new....
on May 24, 2005 at 1:22:22 pm

i got a question mark over the quicktime logo...using safari

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on May 24, 2005 at 1:34:59 pm

Hmmmm.... works for me, both on my PowerBook using Safari, and on my PC using Internet Explorer.

Did neither work, or just one?

Thanks.

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
svpchris@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Vinnie
on May 26, 2005 at 2:49:58 pm

Ya it worked fine for me.

I will get back on the soap box about putting software down like they are notches on your belt. The software does not make the piece it is YOU!! Not the tool. That stuff belongs on a resume if you need it at all. You dont ask a construction worker what kind of hamer he uses or if he perfers Craftsman tools. It just makes you look like a novice.

Your work looks good, but what all did you do with the swordfish stuff. Because it does not show anything on your reel. If you composited something then do a peel or something. If you edited some of it then take it out of the montage format and do an edit reel. The truth is you reel is not very strong without John Travolta's face.

Just my opinion.

vinnie

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on May 26, 2005 at 3:07:04 pm

I don't entirely agree with the Craftsman tool analogy.... an Avid facility is probably not going to be interested in someone who knows only Final Cut Pro, and not Avid. I personally feel that it's a good selling point that I am proficient in both. I also feel it's a good selling point that I am a compositor, as well as an editor. Again, a facility that has only After Effects stations isn't going to be interested in the person that only knows Combustion.... Every facility I've talked to, one of the first things they want to know is what programs do you know. I agree with you in the sense that ultimately it doesn't really matter all that much... the end product is much more a function of the artist than the tools. But, believe me, the person that's going to hire you freelance wants to know what tools you are fast and good with. A facility owner doesn't want to pay someone's hourly/daily rate for them to sit down and start thumbing through the Avid manual to figure out how to make a dissolve.

As far as the reel goes... everything on the reel is my editing, and my compositing - with the exception of the Jack Hanna title graphic. I did not design that title card, but I felt it needed to be in the reel to ID this nationally known show.

As far as the Swordfish package, I did all editing and compositing for a movie magazine show for Loews Cineplex. By mixing up the movie footage, with the behind the scenes footage, and the interview footage, I hope it's clear that I'm not saying I edited Swordfish. I edited (and wrote, actually) a feature package about Swordfish for a movie magazine show.

I should note that I am distributing a DVD demo reel that goes much more in depth with complete spots, program segments, a detailed resume, etc., etc.

Sorry that you felt John Travolta's face was the strongest thing on the reel... any comments on the editing/compositing?

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
svpchris@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Vinnie
on May 27, 2005 at 3:38:22 pm

Well we will remain devided on the software tool issue. As far as the reel goes you cant show editing in an montage reel (except for the fact that you can edit a montage). And for composite shots you should do some peels or show what you actually composited. Because if you did a great job compositing we would have no clue what you composited in the scene...right? So I suggest you put together a editor reel with a shot montage at the begining with some composite breakdowns.

Good luck,
Vinnie

Return to posts index

Mythprod
on May 30, 2005 at 10:41:34 pm

Hiya, Christian. We hire editors but expect a montage of work (1-2 minutes usually), right or wrong. A good demo reel dvd will contain a montage that usually runs by default (when first inserted) and then will end going to the menu where you can see more complete pieces, like complete spots. Your best bet regarding this is to call the facility in which you want to apply and ask them what they're expecting, since no one answer will be the right one. From my perspective, the danger in sending them not a montage but a few pieces back to back is that it will seem slow and blah to the person viewing. Call and ask and send what they want. My guess is that they'll likely expect a montage with the option of looking at more complete pieces if they like your montage. They need a quick way to narrow the pile of demo reels and the montage is usually the preferred way to do this.

I agree with the John Travolta point. If you did a show special on swordfish then make it simple and clear that it was a show and don't just show the swordfish footage, even if it was a making of swordfish because then I would wonder if you were in on the making of swordfish. When you're putting these things together you have to stay sensitive to the fact that there -are- folks out there that will pass famous stuff off as their own. As potential employers / clients are looking at your footage, they'll have this in the back of their mind and it may be assumed at times that this is what you're doing. There's no reason to leave your viewer in the dark unless you really are trying to give off the wrong impression in hopes it will make you look more established and known as an editor / compositor. Stay very clear and truthful in your reel and the employer / client will trust you more when they call you in to talk.

Also the danger in showing well-known footage (containing actors, etc.) is that they might assume you want too much and dismiss you immediately. Remember that the folks hiring usually have 15 other things lined up to finish that day so setting up interviews is a process that usually only lasts minutes. Any red flag will usually kill you unless the circumstances are abnormal (you're extremely well-known, they know someone who's talked about you outside of your reel, etc.).

As far as mentioning the software it's a valid point you're making. But also keep in mind when you get specific on what you know it may be assumed that that's all you know, or all you're interested in knowing - non-avid editing facilities are used to dealing with the avid avanelgists who are convinced you're not actually editing unless you're editing on avid. Leaving out the software packages you know (at least on the reel) may help curb any prejudices or passions the employer may already have and decide when they talk to you whether or not you can learn different things without that chip on your shoulder.

Just my .02.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on May 31, 2005 at 5:14:00 am

Thanks for the feedback...

My DVD demo does actually begin with the montage that I posted here... and then you can navigate to various areas to see spots, segments from programs, etc. I very clearly explain the Swordfish footage in the body of the DVD, where each segment has a show description, who the show was for, how many episodes I did, etc. I can understand your points, though, to someone who may watch the brief montage, and nothing else. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is to misrepresent my work, or even give the impression that I may possibly be trying to misrepresent my work.

Any specific feedback on the editing/style/music?

Thanks again!

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
svpchris@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

John Falchi
on Jun 2, 2005 at 1:11:38 am

I agree with John's comments. I work in the GFX department of a post facility and have exposure to a lot of editor's work.

I remove Travolta, unless there is some treatment done to the footage and/or show it in the context of the program it was a part of - - otherwise you may have viewers wondering about what other pieces may or may not be yours.

Also, "revealing" what you composited in your reel would be powerful.

Cheers,

John

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on Jun 2, 2005 at 1:58:07 am

I think I understand your point, but....

The Loews program I did has stars all over it. That's what it is. Just about any footage I use from that program is going to have movie stars in it. Does this mean I'm not to use any of it? I edited and did GFX for about 25 half-hour episodes of that program. It's a significant part of my resume.

I thought that stringing together a movie shot, followed by a "behind the scenes" shot, followed by an interview shot with John Travolta's lower third would suffice to communicate that I didn't edit Swordfish. The composite with Anjelina Jolie is from the same program. If you're referring to just the very first shot after the title card where he says "Go!", well, okay then... I can understand how this could be ambiguous.

All compositing/graphic design in the reel is mine... with the exception of the Jack Hanna title card. But I felt it was important to efficiently communicate that I edited Jack Hanna's Animal Adventures. I have been more than up-front about this to anyone I've handed my DVD to.

Please be aware, this demo is distributed as part of a DVD with a list of my credits, sample segments, and a GFX reel featuring more of my graphics work.

I realize that there are a lot of people in this business who have no problem putting stuff on their reel that they didn't have anything to do with - or misrepresenting what they did do on a particular project. I'm not one of those people.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments.... I appreciate it!

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
svpchris@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

John Falchi
on Jun 4, 2005 at 6:30:13 pm

Cheers...

Best of luck.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]