FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Company Reel and Website

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pwaszak
New Company Reel and Website
on May 20, 2005 at 8:18:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a new reel up for my company . . . I made it a lot shorter than the last one (trimmed about a minute.)

Take a look:

http://www.redlynxavs.com/reel.html

Thanks y'all!

Paul

Return to posts index

pwaszak
Re: New Company Reel and Website
on May 20, 2005 at 8:19:12 pm

What was I thinking . . . the website isn't new, but I'm working on a new one. Forget that part for now.

Paul

Return to posts index

tristan tumble
on May 21, 2005 at 2:18:28 pm

i really liked your reel, best thing i liked was the fight club vs. will smith knock out....not sure what you made that for, but it worked nice.

also the guiness red turns into fire was really nice...overall, ....very impressed.-one part stood out, had no fx on the shot, just a few straight cuts...it seemd odd mixed in with all the motion graphics stuff....and if anything, because the music is slower beats, the whole reel felt a tad long, some of your spots are repeated and i dont think they need to be....

great job.
tr.

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on May 24, 2005 at 1:25:47 pm

Very, very nice work!

I agree with Tristan, in that I think the reel is just a tad long... I don't know if you need to bring back the Guinness and ESPN Classic treatments - we've seen that already. One other nitpicky thing might be to create a stronger, bolder end card - it's a bit tough to read your email and any other relevant info.

Yeah, there was some stuff that really made me go "damn, man... that's cool!" - especially the Wil Smith to Brad Pitt transition.

Great stuff, man.

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
svpchris@yahoo.com
http://homepage.mac.com/christianglawe/iMovieTheater5.html

Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

pwaszak
on May 24, 2005 at 2:40:30 pm

Hmmm . . . if that's the consensus, I'll try and shorten it up a bit. It's only about 1:30 right now, you think I should bring it down to 1:00?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Return to posts index

matt stoltz
on May 31, 2005 at 2:30:26 pm

ey nice reel-very cool --the couple of things I wanna know are --how did you do your paint splatter effects and the karate fight scene --how did you do the colors on the guys --is that a plugin in AE or a color effect in Illustrator or photoshop

matt

Return to posts index

pwaszak
on May 31, 2005 at 5:20:00 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the compliments. To answer your questions:

Paint Splatter effect - Very easy to do. Just get some india ink and a stack of printer paper. Experiment with splashing and dripping it onto the paper. You can also twirl the paper (gravity is your friend) while the ink is still wet to make cool drips to animate later. Let it dry, and then scan it. Bring it into Photoshop and isolate the ink and leave it black. I animated it in AE with a mix of scale (0-100%), motion blur on the layer and the radial blur effect keyframed over the duration of the scale to give it a more organic look. Roughen edges and turbulent flow also work well if you use them subtly. I also experimented with colorizing it and trying different blending modes. I keep a book around here of all the cool ink splats that I made so I can reuse them in the future.

Karate Fight - All we did was we brought the 'change' frame into Illustrator and designed how we wanted the final graphics frame to look, and kept it on as many layers as possible. Then we simply brought it into AE and animated all the layers and text.

That's it! If you have any other ?'s, let me know.

Return to posts index

matt stoltz
on Jun 1, 2005 at 1:34:50 am

Thanks for explaining the paint splatter -Ive seen this technique on Viva la bam and Ive ask before on here how it was done and nobody gave me a straight answer --so thanks I appreciate it. I thought you might have done the karate seen the way you did--very nice colors you used

matt

hey just curious -you know of any simple ways to recreate the "Sin City" look

Return to posts index

pwaszak
on Jun 1, 2005 at 3:18:17 am

Well, one way I have done that in the past was to take your video footage and totally desaturate it, then fool around a little with curves/levels to even it out. I then would dupe that footage and put it on top of the original layer. Change the blending mode to screen, and totally bur it out so all the highlights have a kind of glow effect to it. That's the best way I can think of.

Paul

Return to posts index

Brian Haines
on Jun 1, 2005 at 4:45:39 am

I'm curious, how'd you pull off the bit before the PSYCHO flashes over screen? That being the video of Norman turning into art.

Return to posts index

pwaszak
on Jun 1, 2005 at 6:19:34 pm

We did that whole project with illustrator art and a 3D camera move. Could you be more specific?

Paul

Return to posts index

Mike
by
on Jun 2, 2005 at 4:38:46 am

Wow - very impressive!
I'm new to Illustrator, and when I try to import an AI file into FCP, it disregards all layers. Is there a way to import independent layers into FCP, like you can with psd files?

thanks

Return to posts index

pwaszak
on Jun 2, 2005 at 5:50:28 am

I really don't know . . . I use After Effects for all my design work, but I believe you can in FCP. I just don't know too much about it.

Return to posts index

John Falchi
on Jun 2, 2005 at 2:10:50 am

Paul,

I agree with the feedback I've already read. VERY nice, clean, advanced work.

Couple of points. I do think it could be shorter. In doing so it could be tighter and even more powerful. Perhaps a length of 1 minute to 1 minute 15 seconds would work. My own reel is one and a half minutes, but doesn't have the quick cuts that yours does. Cutting a couple of bits, plus any repeated sections would do the trick.

I really love the opening (it's my favorite part of the reel) and the "Hello my name is" sticker motiff. As one of the other folks mentioned, it is hard to read your telephone and email address at the end - - I think partially due to the size and partially due to the lack of high contrast in the characters and their 3D shadow. However, if they're watching the reel they're probably at you website and can get that info elsewhere.

Cheers,

John

Return to posts index

pwaszak
on Jun 2, 2005 at 3:25:48 am

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments . . . I'm currently struggling to recut this down to a minute because I can't see the forest from the trees. I like all the work in my reel. If you were a potential client, which parts can you live without? Our problem now is that we do about 65% corporate work, which us not very flashy, and 35% broadcast, which I want to move us more in the direction of. Asking another's opinion might help me understand better what to keep and remove.

And thank's for your comment on the readability . . . I'm going to try and find a way to bring that out a little more.

All in all, thanks for your helpful insights!!!

Return to posts index

John Falchi
on Jun 4, 2005 at 6:44:32 pm

Paul,

I went back and watched the reel again. I think just cutting down from one and a half to one and a quarter minutes could make a big difference.

I made notes of some possible cuts. Remember, this is just one man's opinion.

1. Perhaps cut some or part of the roto'd dancers on the roof. Nice piece, but you do show it several times.

2. I'm not sure of the significance of the Soprano's shot.

3. There are a string of several footbal players ("best hands," etc.). Perhaps 1 or 2 could be cut.

4. Perhaps the "Steve Borne" piece could be cut. It's not your strongest, plus a similar effect is demonstrated in the karate piece right afterwards.

Hope these notes are helpful. Best of luck, Paul. Also, please look for my reel which I'll be posting in a month or so...I'll need the feedback.

Cheers,

John

Return to posts index

pwaszak
on Jun 5, 2005 at 6:45:22 am

Thanks John. I'll try an edit with these notes in mind. Sometimes its easier to hear another persons opinion, and then move foward. I think I can come up with something more consise than what I have now. Hopefully within a month I'll have it ready!

I look foward to seeing your reel.

Paul

Return to posts index

John Falchi
on Jun 6, 2005 at 8:29:21 pm

Cheers!

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]