FORUMS: list search recent posts

Somewhat OT...perspective

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Somewhat OT...perspective
on May 17, 2005 at 3:18:31 pm

It seems there are several effect plug ins that take a bum rap consistently. It begins to seem as if our work is only to impress our peers. I have found that although some effects are cliche, they still have selling power. To me the satisfaction of the client is the goal. What we create should appear to them to be a fresh approach to what they were doing in the past. If we accomplish that we will get more work.

At the same time, it is important that we don't continuously repaeat our techniques so that we can always be improving our skills and knowledge.

I see a lot of demos that simply inspire me. I see others that don't. But our business is to stay in business and to get more business, and one solid way is to create something for the client that is not experimental, but has some artistic appeal and is pleasing to a wide audience, or the intnded audience.

I personally like what Shine can do to a composite...it's not much different to Trish Meyer's "Instant Sex" technique using transfer modes. Invigerator is looked at as a simple 3D plug with horsey bevels...it is not. The lens flare is laughed at, but can in fact add nice natural glints and glows that can sell a reflection without a lot of work.

There is a lot more to a demo reel than a person's ability to work with expressions, or to stack up 300 Illustrator layers and fly a camera around them. It is selling yourself as a designer who can consistently inspire and bring freshness to the look and feel the client has asked for.

So all you guys who are gun-shy to apply the Shine Plugin just because this forum talks it down on a daily basis...go for it. It's still pretty cool to me.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

RJ Hannigan
Re: Somewhat OT...perspective
on May 17, 2005 at 9:11:42 pm

i totally agree...but theres also a difference between using shine with the original preset color with a simple pan of the light source...and using shine in a totally different and original way...the problem isnt the overuse of pluggins themselves..its not using them in a creative way...and as far as the whole "what a client wants" we're here to work and please them but at the same time we should always be pushing them in the direction of "trying something new" ...when i'm freelancing...i don't think i hold back on the quality of work just because of the different scales of budgets..i just see another job as another piece for my reel...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]