FORUMS: list search recent posts

NOT a demo Reel - Possible long Download

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken
NOT a demo Reel - Possible long Download
by
on Apr 7, 2005 at 5:25:44 am

I started a post about this previously, and so here it finally is. This piece is 7 minutes 40 seconds long Don't download if you aren't interested or don't have time.
Spent most of last week trying every encode I could find to get it as small as possible. I can't afford Sorenson Squeeze, and Quicktime won't compress it small enough, so I stayed with Windows Media. Still, this might be a long Download for you, so... if you are someone on here who is Too Busy... DON'T download this.

Background: This is a Highlight video for a seminar/coaching company I do work for. This piece shows highlights of the past seminar, and highlights of the area we are going to next... Maui. All Editng (PPro) and After Effects work is by me, and I shot most of the video, the rest shot by my Partner, all with GL2's. I haven't been to any formal schooling, self taught through books, tutorials, and what I pick up here on the Cow.

Another note musically. The beginning song was written and performed by a Employee of the company, and I Do have permission to use it. Josh Grobins song I am working on now... what a maze that is to get the rights to use a song. They don't make it very easy.ASCAP says contact Harry Fox... Harry Fox says contact someone else.... if anyone does know the correct and simple way to do this, I would love to know it.

http://www.videosforyou.com/movies/Maui%202005.wmv

Thanks to anyone who cares to take a look.

Ken

Return to posts index

Matt
Some thoughts...
by
on Apr 7, 2005 at 4:54:21 pm

Hmm, OK here are a couple of thoughts...

For Me, I need to hear some natural sound... musical montages bore the hell out of me. I wanted to hear what was going on...pulls in the viewer.

I need some kind of information as to what is going on ...like a voice over or a company representative to walk me from begining, middle, end...I was lost the whole time. Maybe I would have broke it down into ideas like goals, accomplishments , or what ever is appropriate, then I would have used graphic transitions to move the viewer into the different catagories this is also an opportunity to introduce and dress up the visuals also employed a common design brand to visually tie together.

Try to tell a story, that weaves through the entire edit, maybe a special accomplishment of a member...tell a story that has an emotional theme and you will keep your viewer. Use more professional interview techniques and start doing sit down interviews with key people...ask key questions, listen and pull out a story, then make sure you can cover it with BROLL and you are on your way to creating somthing that will start to set you apart from all the montage crap out there.

take a look at this link...it is still rough, skip the intro and navagate to "Feature Stories" and take a look...this is the an example of emotional corporate story telling that is "way" effective...pardon the low framrate but this is a working proof...

http://www.gsweb.org/bonneville

Remember, it is always about the story, even in corporate producing...

This work would get a "C-" in a Freshman Edit class, which is good news because it will be easy to improve on...

Matt

Return to posts index

Ken
Re: Some thoughts...
by
on Apr 14, 2005 at 12:10:29 am

Hi Matt,
Wanted to thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts. The lack of dialog in the piece was a concern, that other people would have no idea what was going on. This was mainly created for people who have been to the event, and who know the players and what is going on. I had also thought of using the graphic trnasition Idea, just hadn't proceeded with it yet.

I tried to find the piece you linked to, but was unable to locate it with in the site you listed. I would really like to see it if you can provide me a better link.

Going to play with some of the ideas, and some more codecs to see if I can get it smaller. By the way, how bad was the download for you?

Thanks,
Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]