FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooter's Demo Reel needs a look see!

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Che
Shooter's Demo Reel needs a look see!
by
on Apr 7, 2005 at 4:43:50 am

This reel is for videography mainly and editing second. I would like any constructive criticism you may have.

http://www.chebutterfield.com/

Thanks

Che

Return to posts index

Christopher Abbey
Re: Shooter's Demo Reel needs a look see!
on Apr 7, 2005 at 6:56:08 am

I liked a lot of the shots. The only thing I would do to improve some of them would be to tighten up the composition. Other than that I really liked them. You have a good eye for composition and the use of the color was great.

On the editing side, I would edit the shots to some energetic music. That would make the reel a lot more captivating, but overall good job.

Christopher R. Abbey
"Motion Graphics Designer"

YOU GOTTA LOVE OUR JOBS!

http://www.crabbey.com

Return to posts index

Matt
by
on Apr 7, 2005 at 5:20:36 pm

OK, I use to be the staff editor at a big aquisition shop, 5 crews out during the busiest times...so I have seen alot of shooters styles and images...

I am curious of what kind of shooting you want to be hired for...

I can speak to Network level ENG reels,

I would start with people and setups of interviews, Sit Downs, walk and talks, Indoor, outdoor, Dark colored people... people can be the hardest thing to shoot but the most important....show me that you know how to light, how to manipulate Depth of Field, Show me reverse angles, either 2 camera style or just set it up. I also want to know if you understand how to capture cutaways, reactions, closeups while an event is actually going on...

Then give me some great images...The best you have...

This is probabaly the only time I can live with extended montages, but it fits the need to convince the client/producer that you can handle variety of shootng situations.

http://www.whiterabbitproductions.com >navagate to the showcase page and select Sundance Film Festival to see the "people demo" this has several lighting situations

Look at this site, I use to work here sometime ago, but the reels and website design are exactly as I left (strangly enough)...I think has some good examples of a shooters style demos. The owner is a seasoned shooter who really gets it when comes to lighting and setups and overall capturing the event so an editor can do his job...

Good Luck
Matt
"Cut me slack on the website, as most of this work is over 5 years old" Take a look at the HD Demo, that was a hoot to edit.

Return to posts index

Che
by
on Apr 7, 2005 at 6:12:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for all I can get. Here is a little more about what I'm looking to gain from this demo. A salaried job in the Kansas City market. I know most post houses use freelancers. I don't want this as health care just eats into my take home.

I want a commercial/industrial type job, possibly at a network but preferrably at a house that can afford to have a videographer on staff.

I don't shoot news. I could but I haven't been involved in that part of television much.

ABOUT ME:

I shoot in a small market (141 as stations go) We have no budget for our commercials (sales makes their money selling air time). Most clients find it interesting and sometimes annoying that it takes sooo long to shoot a spot (1-2 hrs setups included). I am almost always the producer/videographer/lighting tech/audio guy although we do have editors to hand off the footage. It is very common to show up on a shoot with no idea what the client has in mind. This is the norm. The spot is sold and shot and on the air in less that 4 days. I shoot up to 4 spots a day but normally 2 a day.

This is very run and gun and all the other stations in the area subscribe to this formula. I am making no excuse here. I hope to give you some insight into my work flow. Basically I can sum it up like this, : "It needs to be done fast, cost no money, and look wonderful." - Sales

Again thanks for the link and the advice.

Che

Return to posts index

Diligence
on Jul 14, 2005 at 2:45:27 pm

I good designer once told me... "I can do Good, Cheap, and Fast, Pick Two!" Makes perfect sense to me. Your sales department should relate this message on your behalf.

Marquise

Return to posts index

Che
by
on Apr 8, 2005 at 3:34:53 am

Thanks for the input, I am going to make some changes, music/luma levels/pacing and will refresh site later.

Che

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]