FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hot demo reel here!

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen
Hot demo reel here!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 2:20:36 am

My demo reel will blow you away. View it at http://www.n2ads.com/demoreel.html.

I am a soon to be college graduate that is always trying to perfect his editing skills. I currently live in the Harrisonburg Virginia area at college but my real home is in Northern Virginia. I am looking for a video editor position, assistant video editor position with room for advancement, or a production assistant position with room for advancement anywhere in the United States. I am open to relocation.

So, if you are impressed with my stuff email me at hockmasm@yahoo.com for my resume and job consideration.

Thank you,
Stephen Hockman

Return to posts index

adinelt
Re: Hot demo reel here!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 4:00:56 pm

Well, I suppose it is a good thing to have confidence in your work, but when I tried to view your clip, there was no sound or video. Only the Quick Time controls...

Return to posts index

RJ Hannigan
on Apr 4, 2005 at 6:46:04 pm

it worked for me..let me start by saying...having confidence in your work is good to a certain degree...you really shouldnt be telling people your reel will blow them away...unless you have a body of work to back that up...which your work is mediocore at best...i assume you posted your reel for some constructive critisism..so here goes..

first off having the logos of apps on your one page is just plain tacky its the same as when people list them in there demo reel...its not that you know these programs its how you use them

your reel took awhile to get going i think it was about 15 seconds after your intro to the first clip...the news stuff was just lower 3rds over video no motion in it at all...clips seemed repetitive most noticeable in the band performance stuff...which was preceeded by animated colored blocks that transitioned into video...which looked like really bad 80's graphics...as for the music - 1994 called they wanted back there really annoying techno track...

these are just a few of the problems I see with your reel...All in all your reel did not blow me away. Look at what is out there now...if you havent already been go to:

http://www.mk12.com
http://www.brandnewschool.com
http://www.lifelongfriendshipsociety.com

these are the reels that blow people away.

Regards,

R.J. Hannigan

Return to posts index

plasma
on Apr 4, 2005 at 7:30:04 pm

man. that was bad. bad music. bad visuals. wouldn't know where to start.

Return to posts index

Vinnie
on Apr 4, 2005 at 9:07:38 pm

You remind me of a friend that said he was the next best thing in baseball and when he came out for the team he took two fly balls off his head and had to leave practice after 10 mins to get stiches.....he is not good at baseball, but a great friend.

My suggestion for you, nobody likes to be lied to. By saying you are good at editing or whatever you are lying. If you are looking for a job, dont do it with this demo....you will make a bad name for yourself. You have some good elements so get back infront of your computer and try again and please dont ever make someone listen or look at that demo again.....sorry just being honest and trying to save you some time.

vinnie

Return to posts index

Vinnie
Re: Hot demo reel here! Really where...cant find it.....
on Apr 4, 2005 at 9:08:03 pm

You remind me of a friend that said he was the next best thing in baseball and when he came out for the team he took two fly balls off his head and had to leave practice after 10 mins to get stiches.....he is not good at baseball, but a great friend.

My suggestion for you, nobody likes to be lied to. By saying you are good at editing or whatever you are lying. If you are looking for a job, dont do it with this demo....you will make a bad name for yourself. You have some good elements so get back infront of your computer and try again and please dont ever make someone listen or look at that demo again.....sorry just being honest and trying to save you some time.

vinnie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2005 at 12:28:32 am

C'mon guys...it wasn't THAT bad.

I guess because you led with "Hot Demo Reel" you dug yourself into a hole. It is a decent demo reel. One that I'd expect from someone just starting out. Actually, it was a little better than others I have seen that are just starting out. But, it does need some work. The news standups aren't interesting, unless you are trying to get a news job. If so, include a small section of the story you cut.

And what others have said it right...listing the logos of the products you use limits yourself and it really not impressive. We could care less about those applications at this point...we only want to see your skill.

Don't be too discouraged. It wasn't crap...sure, there is better out there, but you are just starting.

Sometimes people can be TOO harsh. Honest but nice guys...please.

Return to posts index

TimeKoder13
on Apr 8, 2005 at 6:33:20 am

It was the bragging dude. You do understand that there are like 13 year olds in their bedroom doing 3D movies rivalling Hollywood 'busters? Let other people brag about you. The Barry Sanders school of thought.

Return to posts index

stephen
on Apr 9, 2005 at 4:54:30 pm

Well I was trying to get attention for people to look at it that is why i put hot demo reel here. I liked everyones comments. I am a graduating college student and feel that some of you were too harsh. I understand that there are tons of stuff out there that is better than mine but, from not owning a computer and using an edit lab like 5 hours a week I think my stuff is better than a lot of other college students. Are you all saying that I can't even get an entry level job with my reel?

Return to posts index

Bear Baker
on Apr 10, 2005 at 12:18:05 pm

Your is good for a student. You show that you an "eye." When you come out of the gates brash and fast your are going to offend people. If you want to get a job at a post house, your going to have to come in as an assistant editor/dubber. I produced and edited a sports highlight and interview show at Florida State that aired on the Sunshine Network every week. edited the whole show. This lasted for about 9 months. When I graduated I was as cocky or more so than you. I could only get a job as an assistant editor/dubber. I hated it. As a result I sucked at it. Luckily 6 months later I got a job as an junior editor in another market. I think what made the difference for me was that after 6 months at sucking at something and having the head editor there literally hate me, I was now more humble. I was still confident in my abilities as an editor, but I new there was so much more to learn.
The biggest thing you'll need to learn in a post house setting is the relationship between the client and the editor. Don't be afraid to take an assistant editor job. There is still so much to learn.

Hope all is well,
Bear Baker

Return to posts index

petesid
on Apr 19, 2005 at 8:41:04 pm

Look Man,

Your reel isn't too bad... it is acctually alot nicer then mine was when I graduated undergrad. But keep in mind this, your reel is the only representation of you. While you have the skills, when you talk big like that you will NEVER get an entry level job.

And about the crits, they may have been harsh but this is a tough buisness. You have already done a good job of showing that you think you are way better then you are, and when anyone says any different, you automatically come up with excuses.

Trust me when I say that everyone would rather work with a less talented or developed artist who is modest and willing to learn then a punk kid who thinks he is amazing and doesn't want to listen despite their talent.

I am not trying to be rude here. But I had to learn these lessons the hard way. I have been in the buisness 3 years now, and while I know where I am at, I realize now more then ever that I have alot to learn.

Just keep these things in mind and you will do fine.

Best of luck

-Pete
http://www.sixcycles.com

ps. I used to be the punk kid (still kinda am).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]