FORUMS: list search recent posts

How did you get started and why did you choose this field?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Gilchrist
How did you get started and why did you choose this field?
on Apr 3, 2005 at 5:49:59 pm

I'm curious as to why the people here choose this field over everything else. It's always inspirational and entertaining to read the story of others.

How did you get started in this field and why did you choose this field? Did you go to school for it? Did you grow up in a creative household? When did you know this is what you wanted to do? How long have you been working in the industry? Are you a freelancer, own your own business, or work for a company?
What influences the style of your work?

Thanks in advance,
BG
I know this post is off topic and I'll remove it if people are offended but I'm genuinely interested.

Return to posts index

Vinnie
Re: How did you get started and why did you choose this field?
on Apr 4, 2005 at 8:59:30 pm

Since no one else is answering for your i will give you some hope....

I started in this field when I was working on my Aunt and Uncle's mositure farm.....sorry wrong story.

I started in this field as a AutoCAD guy who thought drawing blueprints was the coolest thing. Then I went to SCAD and started in the game development field. Then I got tired of code and say this stuff called Motion Graphics and thought it was way cooler than drawing blueprints. Hope this gets your thread started...

vinnie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How did you get started and why did you choose this field?
on Apr 5, 2005 at 1:02:54 am

A Brief History of Shane:

-At age 7 I saw STAR WARS and my world changed. I knew I wanted to make movies.
-At Age 11 I saw THE MAKING OF THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and saw animated film that other kids made that were inspired by Star Wars...I was inspired by them and said: "I want to make a movie today!"
-Later that year on my birthday I received a Super8mm video camera.
-Over the next 5 years I made 6 animated movies using my stuffed animals. Special effects included rockets and laser beams, all scratched into the film by my father.
-In High School I took a special course on Video Production and shot a documentary on the Drama deparment on what the process is to put on a play. Also, while in HS I worked at a local video company transferring super8mm and 16mm home movies to tape.
-I decided to go to film school and graduated from Montana State University in 1995 (Montana State has a film school)
-I worked at Apple for the next year doing tech support...phone tech support...in Phoenix AZ...while my wife attended college. I also PAed on a couple local commercials, was an extra in TIN CUP and stayed indoors to excape the heat. I felt like I was going nowhere.
-I didn't have a reel of camera work, so I offered to trade PA work for a day on a companies Avid (I edited on my schools first Avid...v5.5). "Oh, you know how to use an Avid? There is a film shooting here looking for an Apprentice editor..." I interviewed, was told that 5 other people had the same qualifications I did, what more could I offer? AS IF ON CUE the directors assistant comes into the office complaining that her laptop...an Apple Powerbook 5400...wasn't working right and needed to be serviced. I looked at it and in 5 minutes had it running smoothly. I was hired. For the next 8 weeks I worked on Oliver Stone's U-TURN, the movie that got me into the Union.
-Moved to LA to find work...landed a job on WHEN ANIMALS ATTACK managing their tape vault...which I designed for them. A job that a college buddy referred me to.
-From there, I moved to AMERICAS FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS to re-vamp their tape vault...no small task let me tell you!
-From there I took an Avid class and ended up at a company that did shows for The History Channel, I Post Coordinated and Assistant Edited...then online edited.
-Then I went freelance. Judge Judy, two failed pilots, two Disney Channel series...
-Then I became and editor (hired by an editor I assisted for and onlined shows for) for a company that does Discovery Channel shows.
-Now I bounce from company to company working on documentaries, commercials, and narrative TV shows.

All because George Lucas wowed me with STAR WARS (Which he later ruined when he made the Special Editions...and further ruined when he made Episode 1 and 2). But I digress....I had a passion for film early on, and kept on that path. But along the way, I realized that I didn't have the talent to direct, lacked the vision to be a DP...but fell in love with editing.

Return to posts index

Christopher Abbey
Get Ready for a Long Haul
on Apr 5, 2005 at 3:15:06 am

I ask myself that same question everyday.

I was always an artist from the time I was like 6. and loved to draw. Very good too. Always won awards and such. Then after high school, I moved to FL and started getting into film. I was doing nothing with my life so I moved to Pittsburgh and went to the Art Institute for Videography. One of th eworst and best decisions of my life. I put my all into learning how to edit and shoot and light. But in the end I was good at only Editing. But I found it boring. So then I found Motion Graphics. I got into this hardcore. I was obcessed and still am til this day. I continued my education at the Art Institute in Motion Graphics where I got a good basis for where I am today. By that I mean $45,000 in debt and no job. haha That was just a joke. I really do value my education, but I think that I learned more on my own than in the classroom. Today I am in Las Vegas still searching for the job that lets me run wild with design. Because like I said I am still an artist. That's what I love to do. Create, Design and Intrigue!

Hope that helps you. Believe me, it is a long road that you are starting on. My goals have been to get a job with a studio like Belief (http://www.belief.com) or Digital Kitchen or any of these kick ass Design Companies that take design as far as it can go. But there is a lot of good competition out there. So I hope that you are ready to be on your toes at all times. I know that I am.

Good luck,

Christopher R. Abbey

"Motion Graphic Designer"
http://www.crabbey.com

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]