FORUMS: list search recent posts

College Reel Question???

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derrick
College Reel Question???
on Apr 3, 2005 at 1:33:03 am

After browsing through past posts, wondering if anyone could provide a bit more insight for what employers are looking for from graduating college students looking to get a job editing/producing? What do employers look for, expecially if you have not worked nor interned with a professional company and what should students do to gain contacts from different editing company's? Thanks for all the help!

Derrick Silvestri
St. Cloud State University, MN

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: College Reel Question???
on Apr 4, 2005 at 3:12:17 am

I can't speak for the rest of the nation, but I can give you an idea of what it is like in Los Angeles.

Straight from college employers expect you to start at a lower position and learn how things are done. From Office PA (Production Assistant) or Executive Assitant if you are looking to produce, to Set PA if you are looking into a crew position, to Post PA, to Apprentice Editor and Tape Vault manager for post. This is for the big time TV/Film business. Very rarely (if at all) will someone get hired straight out of college to edit or direct or produce a TV show. It is expected that you learn the process first.

Lower end productions like Event Production to Corporate Video might take you in a producing/directing/editing position from the get go...but you'd better have good stuff under your belt. Many companies have less money to offer the experienced people, and hire the lesser experienced ones at a lesser rate to use it as an experience building position.

Return to posts index

Vinnie
on Apr 4, 2005 at 8:50:14 pm

What employers are looking for straight out of college is someone with Talent and drive that is responsible enough to hold a job and make deadlines. I say get a solid demo and shop it around and practice interviews. Learn how to sell yourself and dont say you are a people person, my dog is a people person....well not really. Anyway a solid demo and good interview skills will get you far....right to your first job!! Then just hold it and kick butt and let your work and how easy your are to work with...work for you. Does that work?

vinnie

Return to posts index

Derrick
on Apr 5, 2005 at 7:15:36 am

it sure works! Thanks a whole bunch for the help and comments!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]