FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to insert graphics and logos into a crawl?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wade Major
How to insert graphics and logos into a crawl?
on Jul 18, 2019 at 10:21:21 pm

Have created a very nice crawl in FXFactory's Motion Plugin "Manifesto." Gives me great control over the text, but offers no way of embedding logos and graphics. I'm able to create drop spaces with logos, but can't figure out how to sync them with the crawl. What's the best approach here?

Some suggest the best thing is to build the entire crawl, text and graphics, in a separate app like Illustrator, and then exporting that as a graphic and simply scrolling the graphic. But this means that any changes to the content of the crawl need to be made in Illustrator and then reimported into Motion. That seems to defeat the purpose of working in a single environment.

Any thoughts as to a solution?

Thanks, in advance.

wm

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: How to insert graphics and logos into a crawl?
on Jul 19, 2019 at 11:35:17 am

It's actually really simple. Well, in principal. All you have to do is put your text and your graphics layers (or drop zones) into a group, place and organize as needed and apply the "Scroll Text" behavior to it. Done.

Unfortunately though, Motion can get bogged down VERY quickly with long text passages (even still one of Motion's biggest Achilles heels) and makes it a real pain to edit. And while you can of course publish it to FCP and it sounds very simple, you're much better off doing everything in Motion when needed, since it can quickly become surprisingly complex and laborious, depending on what you need. And I think it would be extremely hard if not impossible to actually publish enough parameters to make editing it in FCP useable or even feasible.

- RK

Return to posts index

Wade Major
on Aug 1, 2019 at 6:22:47 pm

I must be doing it incorrectly - can't get that to work. No matter how I group drop zones with a body of text, the "scroll text" behavior ONLY scrolls the text and doesn't do anything with the drop zones. The only way I can get the drop zones to move is to apply the "Match Move" behavior to a separate invisible video layer. But the move stops as soon as the anchored portion of video reaches the top of the canvas. There's no way to "match move" off the canvas.

If there were a way to embed the drop zones into the text that would solve the problem, but there appears to be no way to actually do that.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 1, 2019 at 10:45:42 pm

Sorry if I find it difficult to understand which part of what I described was so difficult or confusing. I did exactly what I wrote above and had THIS within about 30 seconds.

http://bit.ly/2ysPARj

- RK

Return to posts index

Wade Major
on Aug 5, 2019 at 3:58:02 am

Thanks. No idea why, but all the elements behave differently in your file from mine.

I set it up precisely that way, but drop zones don't behave the same, and motion tracking doesn't behave the same. No idea why.

Thanks - problem seems to be solved.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 5, 2019 at 6:34:36 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 5, 2019 at 7:03:09 am

Well, you must have done something differently. But motion tracking most certainly isn't the solution either way, no.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]