FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting changes opaque objects

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antti Viitamaki
Exporting changes opaque objects
on Jun 3, 2019 at 10:36:49 am

Hi!

I'm trying to create a bubble animation that would swipe over the screen.

Because the final product will be compiled in Premiere and the bubbles will go over several different texts and other things, the animation needs to be transparent. That's why I'm exporting it using ProRes 4444 with Color+Alpha selected and Quality set to Best.

Everything looks okay, when I watch the animation in Motion. But when I look at the exported video, the pinkish gradient inside the bubbles has turned grey.

I created the fill gradient using one shade of pink and opacity from 100 to 0, like this:

(There are other objects in the bubble group - a white reflection and a dark reflection - but whether they are on or off, it doesn't change anything.)

This is what the Emitter animation looks like in Motion with the background layer turned off:

And here it is with the white background layer turned on:

That is exactly what I'm looking for.

But when I export the video (the white background turned off, of course), this is how it looks like in QuickTime:

And then in Premiere, on top of a white background layer:

And with a text layer:

So, it is transparent - but there's something wrong. The fill of the bubble doesn't fade straight from pink to zero opacity - instead, it goes dark grey in between. And looks awful.

I really hope that, as a beginner, I'm just missing something obvious.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Exporting changes opaque objects
on Jun 3, 2019 at 11:33:44 am

In Premiere change the blend mode of your bubbles element to Screen.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Antti Viitamaki
on Jun 3, 2019 at 11:52:41 am

Hi Simon, thanks for answering!

Unfortunately, changing the Opacity Mode doesn't seem to help.

I forgot to mention, but I browsed through all the Opacity Modes. This is how it looks with "Screen":

"Hard Light" seems to be the closest, but still not exactly what I'm looking for:

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 3, 2019 at 12:01:48 pm

So the next thing to do is change the alpha interpretation. Right-click on the clip in the Premiere browser, choose Modify/Interpret Footage and change the premultiplication.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Antti Viitamaki
on Jun 3, 2019 at 12:25:28 pm

Indeed, that did the trick! Thank you!

So, is the key thing here that Premiere interprets the Alpha in the video file differently?

It just occurred to me to try this in Final Cut - which I haven't really used for a while. I imported the animation there, and it worked straightaway. Is this because Final Cut and Motion are more "tuned up" to work together? And Premiere simply has different default settings?

Anyway, I'm really glad that it works now. Thanks again!

BTW, I'm a big fan of your tutorials in YouTube, keep up the good work!

(Now it would be really embarrassing to find out that you had actually covered this subject in one of your videos...)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 3, 2019 at 12:35:01 pm

Yes, you're right in your guesses as to premultiplication in Adobe and Apple respectively.

If you're interested in the technical background, I did a couple of tutorials on the underlying maths of premultiplication which explain the differences:

Premultiplication can so easily trip you up (even when you think you've conquered it!) that it helps to understand what is actually happening at a base level.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 3, 2019 at 12:41:14 pm

[Antti Viitamaki] "BTW, I'm a big fan of your tutorials in YouTube, keep up the good work! "

Thank you :)

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]