FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to confine particles to a shape

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorenzo M. Vidali
How to confine particles to a shape
on Jan 8, 2018 at 7:56:55 am

I'm trying to create an emitter where the particles look like they are bouncing around inside a sphere.

I can create the emitter and confine it's motion path but I don't know how to confine the particles so that they stay inside the sphere. I need them to bounce around off the edges.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
Re: How to confine particles to a shape
on Jan 8, 2018 at 3:16:15 pm

There is a collision detection behavior but it is limited to allowing you to define up to 6 planes (4 walls and a floor and ceiling) - so with that you can do a cube but not a sphere (see this motion project file) ;
12057_particlecube.motn.zip

There are attractor / repeller behaviors and with that you might be able to try to simulate particles bouncing in a sphere ?... (see this motion file)
12059_particlesphere.motn.zip

Return to posts index

Lorenzo M. Vidali
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:18:34 pm

Thanks! This is definitely helpful.

I've also had some luck applying the edge collision behavior and then the sphere filter to the parent group, but I'm still figuring out how to control the location of the sphere as it is still dictated by the movement of the particles rather than them being confined.

Return to posts index

Lorenzo M. Vidali
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:28:05 pm

So quick update, I applied a sphere filter to the emitter on the project with the cube dimensions and it worked beautifully!

In addition, I applied a motion path behavior to the emitter and mapped it to a spinning circle with slightly smaller dimensions than the sphere. It looks great!

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Jan 8, 2018 at 7:09:18 pm

nice, I like the idea of adding the Sphere filter to the 3D cube - the sphere filter is not really 3D in the same sense that the cube is, but it mostly works to maintain the illusion...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]