FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fixing captured VHS content with Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Jones
Fixing captured VHS content with Motion 5
on Jan 1, 2018 at 6:18:53 pm

Interesting problem, is it possible to use Motion 5 to fix the issues normally associated with captured VHS footage? I'm fairly confident in the sharpening and de-interlacing filters to fix a number of issues, the more pressing issue is one of tracking, how does one deal with this in Motion? Is it even possible?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Fixing captured VHS content with Motion 5
on Jan 2, 2018 at 10:28:38 am

Some people pay BIG $$$ to get that look!! 😜

The only "fix" that I can think of would entail an inordinate about of work using masks, jogging frames in time etc. etc. Certainly nothing one can just jot down a quick tutorial for here. Especially without having actually seen the footage beyond that frame.

But then there may well be some sort of "VHS Correction" filter out there that I've never heard of (or needed), or Motion (less likely) or some other NLE. Have you googled?

- RK

Return to posts index

Will Jones
on Jan 2, 2018 at 3:03:33 pm

The last time I had this issue I paid a compositor big money to fix with After Effects, the problems were much worse than that of the video that the frame grab is from, the issues I'm currently dealing with are a lot lighter, I figured there would an inordinate amount of work with masks, going frame by frame but I was holding on to a bit of hope that there might be another option. I have googled around for a plugin that might assist me but no hits so far.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 2, 2018 at 3:18:31 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 2, 2018 at 3:19:40 pm

[Will Jones] "The last time I had this issue I paid a compositor big money to fix with After Effects"

In which case it would of course be interesting to know exactly what it is he did. Since there is VERY little that I'd say is only possible in AE, in a case like this, that isn't in Motion and most of it is due to a markedly more advanced plugin ecosystem as opposed to just the standard toolset.

[Will Jones] "the issues I'm currently dealing with are a lot lighter, I figured there would an inordinate amount of work with masks, going frame by frame"

Again, one would have to actually see the footage to better assess how inordinate the task could actually be. But no, I suspect that there is only a very low likelihood that it could be "easy" in any sense of the word.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]