FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rotating an anchor point

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cooper
Rotating an anchor point
on Nov 8, 2017 at 11:37:49 am

I was recently attempting to replicate the effect seen in this tutorial within Motion - https://vimeo.com/84057931

I can get almost there but am repeatedly battling one of Motion's quirks that I have only just discovered. I was wondering whether it was just me and how others get around it?

I can move an anchor point and rotate on the 'z' axis around it. This visually rotates the anchor point as well. Any changes then made to the 'x' or 'y' rotations don't apply on the new rotation but instead still rotate the object based on the axis parallel to the canvas from the anchor point position. In other words is there anyway you can change the anchor point rotation?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Rotating an anchor point
on Nov 8, 2017 at 2:23:17 pm

The anchor point doesn't have any inherent rotation that affects the object - it is just the point in 3D space around which an object scales and rotates. To change an object's rotational axes you use the HUD where you can choose the axes of the object itself, the axes of the world, or the axes of your current viewpoint.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

David Cooper
on Nov 8, 2017 at 2:57:58 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for responding. Perhaps I am missing something but, to test out your suggestion, I have added a shape (triangle) to the canvas, centred it and added a camera and switched the group to 3d to access the axis controls.

I can move the anchor point to a corner, rotate on z axis e.g. by -60ยบ.
When set to 'local axis' - The anchor point and the control arrows rotate with the object but rotation of x and y does not match the direction the control arrows point in.
When set to either 'world axis' or 'view axis' the anchor point control arrows remain in their original position and the rotation on 'x' and 'y' rotates the object as the control arrows would imply.

I am intrigued / confused as to why when set to 'local axis' the shape does not move along the axis the control arrow implies. The limit of this means it is difficult, to say the least, to replicate this type of effect in motion as far as I can see.

Is this a limitation of motion or have I missed something entirely?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

David Cooper
on Nov 8, 2017 at 3:24:59 pm

Writing my last elaboration gave me an idea and I have worked out what I was missing.

I was using the controls in the inspector to alter the x and y rotation and this only changes the object in relation to the canvas regardless of which axis you set. By switching to the 3d transform tool and using the rotation handles on x and y it achieves the desired effect (altering both x and y rotations in the inspector in relation to the canvas).

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]