FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best way to get titles to come on at the same time a character says them?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
What's the best way to get titles to come on at the same time a character says them?
on Nov 3, 2017 at 5:29:44 pm

I just got Motion. I'm learning it. Forums are super helpful here.

I want to have titles where the words come out, in time, as they are said by the characters. What's the best way to do that in Motion?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: What's the best way to get titles to come on at the same time a character says them?
on Nov 3, 2017 at 7:30:34 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 3, 2017 at 7:31:49 pm

Well, the surest way is to keyframe it by looking at the waveform track, in Motion 5 you go to Window>Audio editor. In Motion 6, It's Window>Audio Timeline. Use the actual keyframes there, or drop markers at the beginnings of the words, using the waveforms as a visual guide. This is a tedious method but the results will be rock-solid.

I'm trying to think of an easy way to automate the process for you; maybe using a Behavior, connecting audio amplitude to a setting in the crop controls... or, if you have a music keyboard with MIDI, there's a MIDI behavior, which - and I'm just dreaming out loud here - would let you use the music keys to trigger the text to come in while you "record" the entire pass in the keyframer. The text would have to be all in one file, I think. Like a credit roll or crawl that you pause.

It's a pretty far reach; trying to do basically an AfterEffects Expression in Motion. There *is* a "custom" behavior template in Motion, but I've never tried to use it for something like this.

If you figure out an automated way to do this, please let us know.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: What's the best way to get titles to come on at the same time a character says them?
on Nov 4, 2017 at 11:35:49 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 4, 2017 at 11:36:18 am

[Mark Suszko] "In Motion 6..."

??!!

Simply use a basic text behavior to have the individual words of your text appear one after the other (if that's wat you're looking for… semi karaoke-style) and set keyframes at the appropriate spots to have it only advance as you need it. Done. Nothing convoluted needed.

- RK

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Nov 4, 2017 at 7:03:40 pm

Robin, I'm really starting from scratch here. But the internet is my friend.

If I wanted to find a video tutorial to do what you're describing, what action would I search for? I literally just bought Motion and I'm finding i overwhelming. But if you gave me an idea of what to google for to find help, that'd be great. (That said, you've helped me enough already! Thanks!)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 5, 2017 at 8:10:11 am

The best thing you can do, is get proper training. In which case the number one place to go would be HERE:
http://www.rippletraining.com/product-category/motion-learning-path/

After that, anything Motion related that MacBreak Studio (Ripple) has on Youtube as well.

But it's really VERY simple. Apply the "Sequence Text" behavior to your text, add the Opacity parameter, and set up as follows:

Then all you have to do is keyframe the Custom Speed parameter as needed. Right-clicking the keyframes in the Keyframe Editor and setting their interpolation to CONSTANT will also be helpful, should a "popping on" of the words be what you're looking for… which you haven't said.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2017 at 1:04:53 pm

I know you’re new to Motion, but as you’re learning you might want to focus on doing these particulars in FCPX. IOW, if applicable you may want to create the titles with just a second between them and publish the effect to FCPX, then you can refine them to your audio in X.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]