FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add & Subtract -- Apply Mode in Behavior parameters.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Maloney
Add & Subtract -- Apply Mode in Behavior parameters.
on Aug 23, 2017 at 6:18:58 pm

Hello, 😶
I am creating behaviors.
In the Behavior window my "add mode" moves one way and my "subtract mode" moves the opposite way. Perfect !

I tried the "Add and Subtract" mode thinking it would alternate between the two; but it does the same thing as the Add mode.

What does the "Add and Subtract Mode" in the Behaviors window supposed to do?

Thank you,
Terry

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Add & Subtract -- Apply Mode in Behavior parameters.
on Aug 23, 2017 at 8:39:28 pm

Add and Subtract adds and subtracts a value from the current value.

In certain circumstances this is not necessarily going to give you the result you might expect. If you are using it on opacity, for example, and your current value is zero, the the behavior can only Add since there is no such thing as negative opacity. Equally if your current value is 100% Opacity, the behavior can only subtract and you will see no Adding.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Terry Maloney
on Aug 25, 2017 at 9:55:18 am

Hi 😃
This might be expecting too much from Motion 5 -- however -----

I brought in a JPG; set the properties position x=0 and Y=0.
I set the anchor point to 0;0.
In behavior I set a parameter for the x value and set it for Apply Mode "Add & Subtract"
It added +36 and then went to -15. So we have unequal movement left and right.
Is there a button to make it even - such as move +20 to the right and -20 to the left?

Thank you, may your projects be very successful. 😋
Terry

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 25, 2017 at 10:12:01 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Aug 25, 2017 at 10:19:31 am

[Terry Maloney] "In behavior I set a parameter for the x value and set it for Apply Mode "Add & Subtract""

Which specific behavior are you using?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Terry Maloney
on Aug 25, 2017 at 12:02:45 pm

HI😐
I have been doing x value behavior, Y value, X rotation, Y rotation, size, & shear

I can get add or subtract working but not Add& Subtract. I have tried moving the initial value up to give it room to move down....
Thank you, 😊
Terry

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 25, 2017 at 12:12:26 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Aug 25, 2017 at 12:59:34 pm

You still haven't said what behavior you are using which makes it hard to advise.

Edit: I see from a previous post that you are using Audio Behaviors here, is that right?

In which case, I don't think what you want to do will be possible for reasons of logic. The Audio behavior generates a value that increases from zero as the amplitude of the audio track increases - it doesn't create oscillating values (ie, it doesn't go above and below zero, it only goes above zero). If you think about it, your audio can't go negative - it can only be silent or more or less loud. It cannot be negatively loud. Therefore you can't have an oscillating result.

If you choose Add it will add the varying value (generated by the increasing amplitude) to your current value. If you choose Subtract it will subtract it from your current value. If you choose Multiply, it will multiply it by your current value. But in each case your animation will only move in one direction from zero (or rather it's current value), driven by the increasing value of the audio's amplitude. It won't go below zero.

I don't know why Apple have given the option of Add and Subtract because it makes no sense, and is a logical impossibility. I presume it's mistakenly left in there because it's in other similar behaviors. It doesn't do anything different from Add.

(There's one scenario where you would achieve the oscillating result you want and that's if you had an audio track that oscillated perfectly around a central value - but that's not often going to happen to say the least.)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Terry Maloney
on Aug 25, 2017 at 6:34:54 pm

Hello, 😊
I tried the oscillate behavior. I think that is going to work better than what I was trying.
Thank you so much !
Terry 😃

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]