FORUMS: list search recent posts

simple tracking: still image over moving video

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Potter
simple tracking: still image over moving video
on Aug 6, 2017 at 10:48:17 pm

Hi all -

I need to accomplish a simple effect. I have a 5 second over-the-shoulder shot of an actor looking toward the horizon. We see the back of her head and the sky that she's viewing. I need to place a hot-air balloon in the blue sky of that video shot and have it drift ever so slowly to the left. For reference, a still frame from the video with the balloon already overlaid is below.

The complication is that the shot was hand held, so there is jittery camera movement. If I simply animate the balloon to move slightly left, it just looks as if it's jumping around the sky.

To get the balloon to appear as if it is slowly drifting across the sky, I believe I need to map the camera movement, anchor the balloon to a point within the frame (such as a cloud or plant on the rocky hill), then set the movement (slight drift) of the balloon in relation to that anchor point. In other words, the balloon will track a sedentary object that is "moving" due to the shot being hand held, and then I will program the balloon's drift in relation to that motion tracking.

Is that the correct approach? And if so, can I accomplish it in Motion or should I use TrackX or another specialized tool?

thanks
Rich

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: simple tracking: still image over moving video
on Aug 6, 2017 at 10:53:56 pm

No plugin necessary. Track the ballon to the shot with the Match Move behavior, and then animate either with keyframes or some behaviors (e.g. Move and Random Behavior).

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Richard Potter
on Aug 6, 2017 at 11:24:51 pm

Thanks, Mark. Will give that a try.

Return to posts index

Richard Potter
on Aug 7, 2017 at 9:12:32 am

UPDATE: I stabilized the clip in FCPX, then exported to Motion and used "match move" with two tracking points (on plants on the hilltop), then used motion path to add a little drift. I think it came out pretty well.

Would be happy to hear any ideas on how to improve it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 10, 2017 at 1:10:31 pm

Now add some random camera wiggle back in to help sell it. ☺

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]