FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scrolling Credits using a Drop Zone?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Greene
Scrolling Credits using a Drop Zone?
on Apr 7, 2017 at 8:12:56 pm

I thought it would be cool to create a Motion Generator with a drop zone that automatically scrolls my show's credit png based on the length of the generator. Just save the PNG out of Illustrator, drop it on the drop zone, and adjust the length of the generator until it scrolls perfectly.

But each PNG is a different height and my Generator crops it, showing only the center. Any ideas on how to move a drop zone based on an image's height?

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Scrolling Credits using a Drop Zone?
on Apr 8, 2017 at 2:52:56 am

Why would you use a drop zone instead of creating an effect? Just drop the effect on the PNG.

But yet the problem is still having it create a move that is based on the height of the PNG. You could probably have a behavior do the math based on the height. But this seems like a lot of work for basic 2 Keyframe pan and scan move.

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Apr 10, 2017 at 3:43:30 pm

I agree that it is not hard to add two keyframes and that building an Effect or Text Dropzone is extra work. But the idea just seems fun. ☺ I have really enjoyed making my own effects lately and seeing what is possible. This was just another idea to challenge myself. So far I am loosing. ☹

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 10, 2017 at 4:14:41 pm

I went ahead and played it and I'll admit I'm no behavior guru, but even with all the new align to features and scale to link feature I wasn't able to find a good solution. Doesn't mean there isn't one by any means.

But the drop zone is definitely a redundant extra step. You'd be adding an effect to a drop zone within a generator instead of just adding an effect to a clip/image.

Good luck and share if you figure it out!

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Apr 10, 2017 at 4:24:59 pm

Thanks for trying. My guess is that the behavior is taking it's cue from the size of the dropzone before the image is applied. I believe this will be the case with an effect as well.

Note: I do like effects better than generators, but using a generator allows me to automatically have it set as a text roll on the timeline.

If I figure it out I will let you know.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 10, 2017 at 4:35:24 pm

That is an inherent problem with drop zones. BUT, in either case I was able to get halfway there. For example, you should be able link the end point of the MOVE behavior on the y height attribute of the clip and adjust the link scale attribute appropriately. But that only covers half the animation and I'm not sure it even let that work. I can do that to a shape like a square, but for some reason I don't think it worked for a still.

You may be able to do it with the motion path behavior, but linking the points can't be done directly. You'd have to use the track points behavior and link that to a dummy object, like a crosshair that is transparent, etc. like you would for creating on screen controls, that is linked perhaps to the scale, and that always makes my brain hurt a little.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 10, 2017 at 4:37:09 pm

In fact, this sounds like a challenge for Anatoly oner on the FB Motion forum. He loves proving stuff is possible.

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Apr 10, 2017 at 5:03:11 pm

My brain is hurting a little just reading this, but now I am even more curious and will have to re-read this with Motion open.

I hadn't heard of the Facebook Group. I will have to look that up.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 13, 2017 at 6:49:37 pm

I was able to come up with about a 7/8 solution as an effect. I linked the 'Y' position to the height of the source image, and added a behavior that moves from 0% to 100% - caveat is that you first need to line up the top edge of the .png to the top of the frame once it's in the timeline.

After that, it scrolls until the last bit is off screen no matter what the duration is. I can post the plugin if you want to try it (or open it in Motion to see what's in there).

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:29:41 pm

I would love to see it Doug. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 14, 2017 at 1:23:22 pm
Last Edited By Doug Metz on Apr 18, 2017 at 3:02:43 pm

Here you go:

11249_panupcredits.zip

*Edit* - Install in ~/Movies/Motion Templates/Effects

Place your graphic on the timeline, scale as needed, position the top edge of the still at the top of the frame. You can add the effect before or after positioning.

For scrolling credits, you'll want to add a bunch of blank space to the top of your image so the credits enter from the bottom of the frame.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]