FORUMS: list search recent posts

100% opaque layer is still not quite opaque

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dunning
100% opaque layer is still not quite opaque
on Apr 3, 2017 at 4:30:15 am

I have a number of layers that consist of simple JPG images. The only processing/filters applied to them are cropping. They are all set to 100% opaque, Normal blend mode. Yet wherever they overlap in the z axis, they are all still a little bit transparent, maybe 90% opaque. I need them to be 100% opaque, is there an additional opacity setting hiding somewhere? Does my camera have xray vision?

Return to posts index

jerry wise
Re: 100% opaque layer is still not quite opaque
on Apr 3, 2017 at 8:20:06 pm

if your pics include an alpha channel then i would check that the alpha is at 100%.

Return to posts index

Brian Dunning
on Apr 3, 2017 at 9:35:19 pm

Interesting. I'm not even sure how I would go about checking that? The jpgs were created in Photoshop as pretty simple backgrounds and text, then exported using Save for Web. There aren't any options for adding alpha channels on that screen.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Apr 3, 2017 at 10:24:37 pm

you could try Boris Continuum Key and Blend trial version and apply BCC Matte Choker to your pics and see if that helps. it's what i use.

Return to posts index

Brian Dunning
on Apr 7, 2017 at 6:27:04 pm

I played with this a bit, but didn't know what the heck I was doing. Could I trouble you for a bit more info on which of its controls you used, and how?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 8, 2017 at 3:00:26 am

There is no such thing as an alpha channel for a jpeg. There is no opacity either as all jpegs are limited to being 100% opaque. Something else is going on in Motion. Is each image in a group? The group has opacity as do the layers themselves.

Could just be a bug with jpegs. Normally one would use a PNG file in Motion. But a jpeg should be just fine.

Return to posts index

Brian Dunning
on Apr 10, 2017 at 7:44:26 pm

There are 23 objects, 13 are jpegs, 10 are .mov exported from, FCPX as ProRes 422. A few of each type is displaying the transparency, so not limited to the jpegs.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 10, 2017 at 8:53:42 pm

Must be a bug in Motion because neither ProRes 422 nor JPEG supports an alpha channel. So any transparency is added IN Motion via bug or user error. And I doubt you accidentally added transparency 23 times. Unless of course you did it once and then copied and pasted properties.

Do you have a screen shot or sample?

Return to posts index

Brian Dunning
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:11:19 pm

Yes, here are a couple screenshots, you can see the page with the two J2 rocket engine diagrams is a bit transparent, whereas other documents are not. It is a jpg. The steam engine and fish are ProRes movies. All of these are replications (15 each of 23 sources). Sometimes movies are transparent, sometimes jpgs.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:14:34 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:19:20 pm

Is this a particle emitter or replicator? 3D with camera? Seeing the LAYERS window would be much more helpful.

- RK

Return to posts index

Brian Dunning
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:22:30 pm

Ah. My apologies, and thanks for your patience with me.

This is the whole thing -- you can see most of those stacked replicators (not particle emitters). The rocket engine is Replicator 18, The steam engine is Replicator 03, etc. All the emitters are box, random, and in more or less the same place in 3D space, creating a big cloud of random pages to fly through. Like the Millennium Falcon in the asteroid field. ☺

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:38:28 pm

Okay. Then that's an entirely different story. Kinda the essential info one needs from the get go, since replicators are a whole different ball-o-wax with different rules and endless settings compared to just plain layers.

I won't go into whether you needed such an exhausting amount of replicators (I'm guessing not), but rather have you check the settings. Because there are settings such as additive blends, color modes etc. etc. that will cause this. Even camera settings. Without the actual project one can only guess at random. I'm not at my computer at the moment either. So unless someone else has a big lightbulb over their head, you'll have to scour through the replicator settings on your own for now and see if you can figure out what one too many thing you clicked.

- RK

Return to posts index

Brian Dunning
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:49:19 pm

If it simplifies the matter, I had the identical issue with just the original 23 items, before I created the replicators.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:51:59 pm

[Brian Dunning] "I had the identical issue with just the original 23 items, before I created the replicators."

Then at least I have no way of saying what could be going on without seeing the actual project. With or without the media. But maybe Bret has had an epiphany?

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 17, 2017 at 11:50:02 am

It looks like they're more transparent the farther away they are. Foreground ones look solid. Are they fading in as they come forward or is it a camera issue?

Return to posts index

Brian Dunning
on Apr 17, 2017 at 3:40:51 pm

That's not the case. Whenever a big one in the foreground was transparent, I reseeded the randomization to make them less noticeable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]