FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I use multiple styles of text in one line/text box in Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tolbert Pitman
How can I use multiple styles of text in one line/text box in Motion?
on Mar 22, 2017 at 3:44:59 pm

Hello All: I'm new to Motion and FCPX, and loving it so far. I'm trying to rebuild a graphic that I use a lot in AE with Motion. It's a lower 3rd, name key and some other graphics that I use for a client.

For example Helvetica regular for the first name and Helvetica Bold for the last name. These need to change so I would like to build a file that can be updated inside FCPX.

With AE, or Pr, you can have one text box and use different styles of fonts or even different fonts.

Is there a way to build this in Motion? For example "john doe"

Thanks,

Tolbert

Avid/FCP/After Effects

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: How can I use multiple styles of text in one line/text box in Motion?
on Mar 22, 2017 at 5:20:57 pm

Same in Motion. Just select the word or words you want in a different font and change the font in the inspector (for both Motion and FCPX).

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Tolbert Pitman
on Mar 22, 2017 at 5:50:11 pm

Thanks Andy I'll check that out. I can sometimes make things harder than they need to be. ;)

Avid/Adobe Premier/After Effects/FCPX/Musician

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 23, 2017 at 6:31:22 pm

[Tolbert Pitman] "For example Helvetica regular for the first name and Helvetica Bold for the last name. These need to change so I would like to build a file that can be updated inside FCPX."

Even with AE there is no way of forcing that e.g. the first word in a single text box is style X and the next word style Y without in fact creating a separate text box for each. The same goes for ANY app that uses text, therefore Motion is no exception. But yes, whether you're in Motion or FCP, you can format even every letter differently if you like by simply selecting them and formatting as you like. But if you want to force a certain formatting for individual words, lines etc., no matter the app, there's absolutely no way of getting around working with multiple text boxes accordingly.

And if you do, Motion, as of the most recent version, is the only app of them all that can actually automatically maintain the correct alignment/relation of them to each other, thanks to the "Align" behavior. Something you might want to look into, if the whole thing is a must-have.

- RK

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Mar 31, 2017 at 7:02:41 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "And if you do, Motion, as of the most recent version, is the only app of them all that can actually automatically maintain the correct alignment/relation of them to each other, thanks to the "Align" behavior. Something you might want to look into, if the whole thing is a must-have."

I find the Align behavior to be a little slow... and then depending on the context I'm using it in that slowness gets magnified to a point where it's unacceptable (in the most straightforward simple case it is less noticeable)... and so I find myself using a combination of various other behaviors (Link behaviors mostly) to achieve it other ways... Does anyone else find that with the Align behavior ? One thing I haven't (yet) figured out how to achieve another way is the "Ignore Sequencing" checkbox option in the Align To behavior... (and that's a useful option...)

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Apr 1, 2017 at 11:57:56 am

I too have found a similar problem with the Align behavior. I've used it twice in projects and each time the project ground to a halt when I had a large number of instances of the behavior in use. I'd say around 15 or so (this is an estimate). I could not interact with the project beyond opening it before the spinning ball of death appeared.

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 3, 2017 at 10:19:19 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Even with AE there is no way of forcing that e.g. the first word in a single text box is style X and the next word style Y without in fact creating a separate text box for each."

While this is true for changing the font, it's not true for other style properties such as Fill Color, Stroke Color, Stroke Width, Character Offset, etc.

All of these style properties can be controlled on a per line, per word or per character basis using a simple expression. Add the Animate Text option for the parameter that you want to control, add an expression control to that and then add this expression to the Amount value:

textIndex%2 ? 0 : 100

Depending on the "Based On" choice you make, that will alternate the style of each character, word or line, or to change the style of every third line use this:

textIndex%3 ? 0 : 100

And so on.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 3, 2017 at 10:42:12 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "While this is true for changing the font…"

Which is what it is I took it he's talking about, yes.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 3, 2017 at 10:51:37 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Which is what it is I took it he's talking about, yes."

Indeed, your answer was correct in terms of the question. I was just pointing out that it was not correct in the sense that you spoke about "style" properties in general terms and didn't limit it to font style.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]