FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 5 to Motion 4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Smith
Motion 5 to Motion 4
on Feb 23, 2017 at 1:38:38 pm

Hi all,
long story, trying to covert Motion 5.7 files to Premiere pro CC - have been going around in circles (Motion to FCPX then XtoCC won't be any use in this case as the Motion files have animating text and bars).

The latest tip I've found is to open Motion 5 in text edit, change the version number to 4.0.3 then hit save, the theory being that I can then open it in Motion 4 and from there export an XML to open in Premiere pro (FCPX will only export fcpxml).

Have tried exactly this and Motion 4 just sees the resultant file as greyed out.
Anyone done this / any tips? Found a couple of links claiming this works but doesn't for me.

Got a feeling even if I get this far the jump to Premiere may be too far. So many files so don't want to have to recreate in Premiere so worth a desperate last try.

Anyway, thanks for whatever advice....

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Motion 5 to Motion 4
on Feb 24, 2017 at 9:40:55 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Feb 24, 2017 at 9:46:52 am

So why can't you simply render the project out and use the subsequent clip in PPro? Because even with Motion 4 there is no way to simply export a project as an editable file elsewhere. Not even in FCP 7 let alone PPro. The old XMEML doesn't even have 10% (and that's being generous) the syntax it would need to cover every relevant option, parameter etc. etc. contained in the file and have it anywhere near the original in the end. Unless maybe it's just a bunch of floating boxes with a few keyframes, no behaviors, no filters, no anything.

I would save yourself the time and not even try. Ain't gonna work, period. Or simply use FCP X and not worry about either XML nor rendering out and have full access to any and everything within the file at all times.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Smith
on Feb 24, 2017 at 5:13:20 pm

Thanks Robin,
confirmed my fears, but a clear explanation that will at least save me even more tail-chasing.

cheers,
Simon

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Feb 24, 2017 at 7:26:20 pm

So rendering out isn't an option? Or simply using FCP X? If so, why not? Sounds to me like that would be your best option yet.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Smith
on Feb 24, 2017 at 7:56:06 pm

Hi again,
I'm trying (well, I've given up now) to take Motion 5 pre-made animating caption templates and have other users who use Premiere update them so would need to leave the text user-editable.
Will just remake in Premiere. Not the funnest job but at least it'll give me a chance to learn Premiere (bright side and all that).
Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]