FORUMS: list search recent posts

Affect multiple opacities in rig - how?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Affect multiple opacities in rig - how?
on Feb 22, 2017 at 12:34:54 am

I am using a pop-up rig (aka drop down menu) so that editors can choose controlled text.

For every item in the popup that needs to be visible, the others need to have zero opacity.
Is there any way in motion to quickly affect the opacity of one layer and oppositely affect all other layers in a group for example, and in a rig.

This would be especially useful as I have to update this motion plugin template with more choices in the popup. having to go back to each item and change the opacity all other items just doesn't seem that efficient.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Affect multiple opacities in rig - how?
on Feb 22, 2017 at 9:11:39 am

Sure. That's the most classic use for rigs. Simply add all and any opacity parameter from any given layer to the same rig and set the state of each for every state of the pop-up.

- RK

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Feb 22, 2017 at 5:52:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, but that is precisely what I don't want to do. That' what I have already done.
I am trying to avoid having to affect the state of each opacity individually.

For ex.
Menu:
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
Item 4

For item 1 to be visible I have to set the opacity to zero for all of the others. For item 2 to be visible I have to set 1,3, and 4 to be zero, etc. As I add items later on I have to do this over and over for each one.

Instead I'd like to be able to set the opacity of item 1 to 100 and this will trigger all others to be zero. If I set Item 4 to be 100% opacity, I'd want items 1,2,and 3 to be zero automatically; sort of the way you can use parameter behaviors to link parameters of other things.

I am using this to make a generator for FCPX that will update over time with more menu items.
Hopefully this makes more sense. It's sort of like having parameter behaviors for rig states.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Feb 22, 2017 at 7:40:41 pm

I haven't actually checked, but I'd imagine you can't mix rigs AND links in that way, no. But then… really? It's a tad tedious, sure, but it does work as you describe. 😏

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 23, 2017 at 2:41:29 pm

Clone is your friend here.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Jay Cederholm
on Feb 23, 2017 at 5:10:18 pm

I think this is exactly what you are looking for....just posed today from the Ripple Training guys.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Feb 23, 2017 at 5:45:24 pm

This is exactly what I have done on my own. Thank you though. What I am trying to do is figure out a way not to have to manually adjust the opacity sliders for each element; particularly because my pop up menu will be growing over time.

So if I adjust the opacity for item 1 from 0%to 100%, all other sliders (or opacity values) respond by going from 100% to 0%.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 23, 2017 at 6:09:56 pm

Try it this different way rather than using opacity

Make a Clone of any one of the items you want to use for your rig.

Publish the Clone to a dropdown menu.

For each version that you want in your dropdown, drag the new item into the Clone source well.

Very quick, very easy, very powerful.

Much better than wasting time with opacity.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 23, 2017 at 9:23:14 pm

Here's a quick tip video to show you what I mean:

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Feb 24, 2017 at 5:37:47 pm

Wow!! Simon that is fantastic so much easier. I would love to know your thinking behind this method. I did it myself and it worked like a charm, but I can't wrap my head around how you got to this method and it's the thinking that's where the real magic lies.

Each of my snapshots shows different text (text layers representing names of our shows). The only thing I lost in this process is that each of my text layers had a text tracking behavior on them. Although this method works it wouldn't allow me to retain the tracking, perhaps because the clone layer is not (on it's own) a text layer. I am not sure.

In creating snapshots like this have you come across a way to rearrange the snapshot order. In my case I want to make them alphabetical so editors have an easy time finding what they need int he popup.

Thanks again Simon. I don't think I would have come up with this if only by accident, trial and error.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 24, 2017 at 5:43:11 pm

Glad to hear it was useful.

[Tangier Clarke] "The only thing I lost in this process is that each of my text layers had a text tracking behavior on them. Although this method works it wouldn't allow me to retain the tracking, perhaps because the clone layer is not (on it's own) a text layer. I am not sure."

You can also put groups into the Clone so that might be a way of keeping your tracking?

To be fair, I didn't discover this method myself - I have to thank my incredibly talented development partner Rob Mackintosh. But I like to pretend I came up with it ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]