FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Update v 5.3 removes Premultiply Alpha Checkbox - Causing problems (also posted in FCP Legacy forum)

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
Motion Update v 5.3 removes Premultiply Alpha Checkbox - Causing problems (also posted in FCP Legacy forum)
on Nov 17, 2016 at 7:09:39 pm

Hi,

I posted this question to the FCP Legacy forum as well. Whoever can help me first ?

The latest vs of Motion, 5.3, removed the Premultiply Alpha checkbox, and now that I can't deselect that, my text files are exporting with black outlines. How do I correct this? Changing the Colour setting to Transparency didn't help.

I'm exporting ProRes 4444 files and importing into FCP 6.0.6. Here's what I had yesterday:

Now this is what I get by re-exporting a similar Motion file with a font-size change, that's it. (My original file is now gone, I saved overtop of it.) There's no Outline and nothing else is modified. It's the same Helvetica Neue Compressed Bold font set at 90% transparency with a 10% drop shadow.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
Re: Motion Update v 5.3 removes Premultiply Alpha Checkbox - Causing problems (also posted in FCP Legacy forum)
on Nov 18, 2016 at 10:05:25 pm

Still haven't resolved this. When text fades in, it begins with the black ghosting. Looks terrible. Can someone suggest a solution given that all I had to do before was deselect a checkbox and now that box is gone.

Return to posts index

Matt Galuszewski
Re: Motion Update v 5.3 removes Premultiply Alpha Checkbox - Causing problems (also posted in FCP Legacy forum)
on Nov 19, 2016 at 2:42:51 am
Last Edited By Matt Galuszewski on Nov 19, 2016 at 2:43:11 am

Hi,

It is a long time since I had any Final Cut legacy versions on my Mac but when somebody sent me a clip with an Alpha channel that they did not export per our specs or if FCP got it wrong I just had to change the Alpha channel option in the Item Properties window for the correct result.

I realise it is not answering you question re the checkbox in Motion but does it help you if you do change the Alpha type in FCP.

https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapte...

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 19, 2016 at 8:11:19 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks for writing in. I tried changing the alpha channel in FCP. The others were all Straight. When changed to Black, there is a modest improvement but it is still not as good as the version with the premultiply checkbox deselected. I found a copy of v 5.2.3 on my backup drive so reinstalled that. I've done several tests between the two (v 5.2.3 and v 5.3) and it seems to me that the one and only issue is that v 5.3 doesn't allow for deselecting Premultiply alpha. I'm quite surprised by this omission and that no one else is speaking up. Fading in titles where the Alpha is premultiplied shows a black background that should simply be translucent. It's unacceptable. Unless I'm missing something or there's a workaround, I won't be able to use 5.3 which is certainly a good-looking update.

See for yourself that the checkbox is missing. Render settings in 5.2.3:

v 5.3:

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 23, 2016 at 3:52:56 am

Hi

I can confirm that it is rendering as Premultiplied black, which is unfortunate because straight alpha is the cleaner way to go. However, I ran a test and took a solid white object and gave it transparency and rendered it out. FCP X correctly interpreted it as premultiplied. But it was as clean as you can get. I superimposed it over an image that was partly white, partly video and there is no fringe whatsoever of black (even when fading up) nor any fringe over the white as it completely disappears over the white. So make sure you're interpreting the file as premultiplied black and you should be ok. FWIW, in the project settings in Motion 10.3 I had the project background set to transparent, and background color set to black. In the canvas I viewed it as transparent (checkerboard) as you can see below. The other picture is a grab of how it looks overlaid in FCP X. The white is a color solid.

Send a bug report to Apple. I am.

PS - why on earth are you using FCP 6?

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 28, 2016 at 5:34:10 pm

[Bret Williams] "So make sure you're interpreting the file as premultiplied black and you should be ok."
It's not the same as Straight alpha, at least when using text. It's like the text is sitting on a black version of the text that is quite noticeable especially during fades. I too sent Apple a bug report as I hope it's just an oversight that they didn't include the ability to deselect Premultiply Alpha. Moving back to 5.2.1.

[Bret Williams] "PS - why on earth are you using FCP 6?"
Because that's the version I was on when Apple switched to FCP X. Too expensive to upgrade to v 7 considering it's support had just been discontinued. And I had just begun a feature doc that is now 8 years in the making (both on screen and behind), and haven't felt comfortable migrating to something new until it's finished.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 26, 2016 at 12:51:19 pm

I'm sorry, but I have to ask: why would you be using Motion v5.3 when you're on the age old FCP 6? It offers you nothing of added value for that set-up. Quite the opposite in fact. If you were using Motion v4 (or even v3!) then you wouldn't even have to render anything! If I'm not mistaken, you can't even send anything from the timeline from FCP 6 or 7 if you're using it in conjunction with v5. The absolute only advantage older versions of FCP and Motion have (by default) compared to FCP X.

- RK

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 28, 2016 at 5:40:31 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I'm sorry, but I have to ask: why would you be using Motion v5.3 when you're on the age old FCP 6?"

Read above as to why I'm on the age-old 6. I'm also using El Capitan and as I'm sure you know, the previous version of Motion doesn't work on it. 5.2.1 works just fine, but yes you do lose the ability to roundtrip which was great. As to why I upgraded to v 5.3, because I guess my mac is set to automatically download and update new software! – which I've now taken control of.

6 might be age-old software and yes, it is giving me lots of headaches these days (with random crashes, especially). But I can't imagine limiting oneself to an age old operating system when there have been so many great advancements that make the overall computer experience that much better.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 29, 2016 at 8:04:16 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 29, 2016 at 1:10:43 pm

[Christopher McDonell] "the previous version of Motion doesn't work on it."

Again… I don't see why you would even want to install it (Mavericks) then, especially when it breaks essential functionality, but oh well. If you were using X on the other hand, it'd of course be a no-brainer.

[Christopher McDonell] "But I can't imagine limiting oneself to an age old [software] when there have been so many great advancements that make the overall [editing] experience that much better."

Oh the irony. 😜

- RK

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 29, 2016 at 11:27:15 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Oh the irony. 😜"
I like a good debate as much as anybody but it's not going to solve the problem for which I created this thread. Yes, one day I'll probably be working on FCP X and, now that lanes are starting to look like tracks, I might actually love it. Until then...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]