FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make alpha channel with animated text logo. Please advise.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Make alpha channel with animated text logo. Please advise.
on Nov 17, 2016 at 5:26:45 pm

Folks, I animated a text logo with intent of doing two things - animating the logo and then using the exported movie to be used on any background. I believe I am close, but I missed a step or did a step wrong.

Logo provided against white background.
Deleted white background in Pixelmator to create logo with alpha channel.
Imported into Motion.
Used bezier and paint strokes (all black since the Motion background was black as well) to trace the logo. The hope was to use a transfer mode later that would get rid of the black.
Used the write-on behavior accordingly (erase mode)
Animation looks great.

Exporting the animated (ProRes 4444) logo and importing into FCP X, I had hoped using a transfer mode for those black strokes to be hidden, but that's not the case. This is where I am stuck - how to get those strokes not to be visible. Perhaps I used the wrong stroke color? Applying the logo as a mask on everything I am not sure will work since that just constrains the boundaries of the strokes to not go outside of the logo text itself.

Please advise.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Make alpha channel with animated text logo. Please advise.
on Nov 17, 2016 at 6:27:31 pm

Why not just use your paint strokes as the source for an Image Mask which you apply to your logo?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Nov 17, 2016 at 6:30:24 pm

Yeah, I think I may have just done this wrong. Could you elaborate please?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 17, 2016 at 7:16:26 pm

I meant to say that if you take your paint strokes, which I am presuming are creating transparency for your logo in the final result (?), and add them to an Image Mask that you have applied to your logo layers, then the transparency of the paint strokes, which is all you are interested in (I think) will be transferred to the logo layer.

You can then hide the paint strokes - although of course Motion will do that automatically when you add them to the Image Mask.

You need to think about checking the alpha channel of your overall result by hitting Shift+A or selecting View/Channels/Alpha.

You probably don't want to rely on Blending Mode to get your final result and hence you want an alpha channel that will look right in Motion, but without knowing more about your project, I can't say for sure.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Mohamed Mira
on Nov 23, 2016 at 3:06:58 am

Hi Tangier,

As I follow what you had written, there are no need for the paint stroke in Motion. Only bezier path will do the job.

that might help in a way

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:17:37 pm

This is the same process that I use.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:25:40 pm

I only used the expression "paint stroke" because that was what Tangier used. I assumed he wasn't foolish enough to be actually using paint strokes, which are of course super-inefficient and very poorly suited to this process..

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]