FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Edit" generator in FCPX - even possible?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
"Edit" generator in FCPX - even possible?
on Oct 11, 2016 at 12:24:22 pm

Is it actually possible to edit a generator I have created in motion in FCPX? I would say the answer seems to be NO. Generators are the way they are and there is no way to "break them apart" and treat them like a video clip. Still there might be a way so I felt like asking.

Here is what I've got inside ONE generator(for a video where different people get introduced):
Intro animation- animation to introduction panel (with a drop zone, where I still don't know how to change it's resolution. I've noticed FCPX adjust the drop zone if I "drop" something into it but if I remove this FCPX still remains the proportions of the previously removed clip causing problems when I decided to drop some other clip into it afterwards)

Now I've added a few still frames without animation to the beginning in case I want to use a fade to my generator. I thought I might be able to "cut off" that intro without any action and jump straigt to the action inside FCPX. I guess this isn't possible and I would have to export a still frame I can hold and put that in front of my generator that starts right with the animation on the first frame.

After the intro animation I will introduce people. I have animated that introduction panel just once and it is inside my generator. I thought I could simply make a CUT where that introduction panel animation starts and copy and paste as many introduction as I need inside my FCPX time line but once again- seems like I can not edit or cut anything here so I guess I need to build a seperate independent generator just with that introduction panel and then drop it onto the time line mulitple times.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: "Edit" generator in FCPX - even possible?
on Oct 11, 2016 at 3:40:27 pm

No, you can't edit it like you are trying to do, it's just not how generators work.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:38:09 pm

True. But just turn it into a compound clip (option g) and you you can edit it just like any clip. Slice it up, retime it, etc.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:38:49 pm

Yes, Bret, good idea!

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:22:17 am

Unfortunatly this doesn't seem to work or I might have understood you wrong.
I already had my generator on the main story line but I also had it as a connected clip and changed it to a compound clip (so yeh doesn't really matter - it was the same both ways :P) but every time I removed something say from the middle - blade tool- cut- cut- remove part it would start playing from the beginning again. So I end up with two clips that start playing from the beginnig instead of removing an unwanted section. So I either got you wrong and didn't understand what you were trying to tell me or I did something wrong.

Thanks for the help everyone

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 12, 2016 at 11:20:22 am

Make it a compound clip. Then blade the compound clip. It won't start over.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]