FORUMS: list search recent posts

export movie codecs

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jan maslow
export movie codecs
on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:23:45 pm

I've been mostly using H.264 to export motion projects to a quicktime movie. But occasionally, I've needed more definition in the video and have used MPEGIMPEX 30, 40, or 50.

I'm now looking to sell some of the videos in a store on my website and someone at the video hosting site I plan to use told there was no problem having a movie file size of 1 GB or larger, but that I needed to use the H.264 codec. My H.264 files usually come out around 100 MB, and the IMX files around 1 GB. The person at the video hosting site also said that it was possible to use the H.264 codec and have it be a larger file size (which I assume means it would preserve more clarity). I could find no way in Motion to adjust the file size. Is it possible? Or is it something I would need to have Compressor to do? Or am I misunderstanding what he said.

Any light you can shed on this will be much appreciated.

Jan

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: export movie codecs
on Nov 24, 2015 at 5:31:09 am

Export as ProRes 422 or 422HQ as your master file. Then use that in compressor to create h264 to upload. Or upload the ProRes. But a full quality h264 looks pretty darn good. Uploading a ProRes can take awhile...

Return to posts index

jan maslow
on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:54:27 pm

Thanks very much Bret. Looks like I may have to buy and learn Compressor.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 24, 2015 at 9:19:18 am

From personal experience I'd say simply exporting with the "Apple Devices 1080p" preset should give you the best size:quality ratio without any fiddling needed. Be it directly, or through Compressor or even FCP.

I've also even uploaded clips to Vimeo at full ProRes quality and then downloaded THEIR encode afterwards, since they use some kind of (probably hardware) voodoo to get the files frighteningly small (in some cases down to 1/6th of what FCP would give me with the Apple Devices preset) with hardly any detectable degradation in quality. :)

- RK

Return to posts index

jan maslow
on Nov 24, 2015 at 2:59:06 pm

Thank you Robin - that sounds nice and simple. But I'm afraid I couldn't find the "Apple Devices 1080p" preset. In the screen that appears when you first open Motion, there's a drop down menu with Presets. Is that where you meant? There's one that says Broadcast HD 1080 - is that the same thing?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 24, 2015 at 3:09:29 pm

[jan maslow] "But I'm afraid I couldn't find the "Apple Devices 1080p" preset. "

Ah, sorry. I meant EXPORT preset, that I thought Motion also had, but it "only" has "H.264". But I would suspect that it would give the same results.

You could otherwise simply publish the project as a generator to FCP X and export it from there. OR use the somewhat more convoluted Vimeo "detour" I described. Like I said, that would ironically give you the best quality:size ratio. Or even just upload the ProRes master to Vimeo and use the embedded version. That's how I do it. No need for any additional provider/server/host. One that I presume only costs money anyway, no? But then they could just download the Vimeo encoded version as well.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]