FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any advice for setting up easy kinetic type projects?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Any advice for setting up easy kinetic type projects?
on Sep 8, 2015 at 3:49:40 pm

I may have to do a package of ten short kinetic type pieces in a very short time. I'm trying to come up with some shortcuts and easy setups to make building these simple(r) and fast(er).

What I have worked out for myself so far is to create a Group for each specific section or phrase of the overall comp, limit the type in each group, then stack these and stagger their appearance on the master timeline as needed. Then I can do gross 90 and 120 degree rotations on entire groups... or I can just rotate the camera... or both.

Are there advantages to only staying with rotating one or the other? My ten spots will be between 60 and 90 seconds, I figure. All text, with perhaps just 3 or 4 icons/symbols added here and there.

Have not decided if I will mix 2D and 3-d type on these yet.

Do you have favorite fonts for when you make your KT pieces? or do you let the story dictate font choice?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Any advice for setting up easy kinetic type projects?
on Sep 8, 2015 at 4:28:51 pm
Last Edited By Stephen Smith on Sep 8, 2015 at 4:29:57 pm

You may want to consider purchasing a Kinetic Typography template to save time is time is an issue. As for fonts I like bold fat fonts because I feel they stack well. Here is a 15 second kinetic Typography spot I did. If the font is thin it leaves a lot of gabs. Also, in case you haven't seen if you might like this Kinetic Typography tutorial

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 8, 2015 at 7:35:08 pm

That tutorial is so helpful, I can't bring myself to make fun of how you say "escape":-) Seriously, that's a great tutorial. Is there anything grossly different to watch for, or something that's done better, in the Motion 5 environment? I have the option to make mine in Motion 4 OR Motion 5.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 8, 2015 at 8:01:49 pm

[Mark]
That tutorial is so helpful, I can't bring myself to make fun of how you say "escape":-)

Curse that Audio Processing Learning Disability. It makes life tough sometimes. Thank goodness I don't have to make a living being an actor :-)

As for the tutorial it was built in Motion 4 back in 2011. By the way, thanks for the kind words about it. I'm in After Effects now and might not be the best of help. Regardless of AE or Motion the look is still the same. A lot of times I like to move the text in with position keyframes and them move the whole group of words (once lumped together) with the camera. I like to put a little bounce on the text like in this commercial I did:

Notice how the "You Don't Pay Anything" text moves from the bottom of the screen and then slightly overshoots its resting spot and has to bounce down into places just a little. I think little details like that add a little punch to the text.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for or if it is of any help. Best of luck on your project, it sounds like a fun one.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 8, 2015 at 8:09:45 pm

Those spots are seriously good. I KNOW some of those elements didn't come from Motion - care to tell where they're from, or what you built them in?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 8, 2015 at 8:20:28 pm

The tutorial was built in Motion and the spots where built in After Effects...although they could have been built in Motion. I used the puppet tool to help bend parts of the characters body, so you would have to go with out that if built in Motion. I thought they added linking to Motion 5 so you can do a charter rig. I haven't been in Motion since they released FCPX. Because of that I switched over to Adobe. Everything in all three videos was built by me except for a couple of vector images I purchased on a stock site. Those projects where a lot of fun.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 8, 2015 at 8:57:21 pm

If mine come out half as good as yours, I'll be O-K.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 8, 2015 at 8:59:11 pm

Thanks for the compliment, let me know if there is any thing else I can do to help.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]