FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple blur-in transition causing weird outline/glow on text during transition

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Zachary Elwood
Simple blur-in transition causing weird outline/glow on text during transition
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:06:53 am

I just bought Motion yesterday. I have a video/film degree so I'm not a beginner. I can't really understand why something so simple should be so difficult.

I'm applying a Blur-in behavior to some lines of text. When I do, though, there is a blur/outline on the text during the length of the transition that snaps off as soon as the transition is done. You can see what I mean in this youtube clip I've uploaded:

. It is most obvious on the blue text.

Any ideas? I haven't, to my knowledge, done anything else weird in this project that might account for this. You'd think it'd be a pretty simple effect.

Thanks,

Zach

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Simple blur-in transition causing weird outline/glow on text during transition
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:17:15 am

It's blurring all parameters, you just need to disable the Outline or change the color.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Zachary Elwood
Re: Simple blur-in transition causing weird outline/glow on text during transition
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:27:10 am

Thanks, Mark. I looked, and I don't have any outline or glow or any apparent effects on the text itself (unless it's somehow hidden from me in a way I can't easily see.)

There is of course some auto outline/glow associated with the blur, but you would think that it wouldn't affect the text after it passes over it to wipe it in, right? That'd be a basic function, I would think.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 24, 2015 at 3:41:56 pm

So what I'm saying is to go to the Text Inspector, to the Appearance tab (assuming you are on 5.2, otherwise the Style tab) and change the Glow color to black, the issue will go away. Even though you don't have the Glow enabled, the behavior is trying to animate ALL parameter in the case that you DO have in enabled.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Zachary Elwood
on Apr 24, 2015 at 4:00:31 pm

Hey Mark, wow, you're right. So weird. Even though Glow was off and not activated, changing the glow color to black did work. Doesn't that setup seem really glitchy/stupid to you? I never would have thought I'd have to do that. Considering this is for the simplest transition and I just started working with Motion, doesn't really encourage me...

Thanks so much; I'm surprised I couldn't more easily find this answer with a Google search.

Zach

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 24, 2015 at 4:27:45 pm

I do find it odd yes. Another option is to enable the glow and set the opacity to 0% (if you are not on a black background than the first option of changing the glow to black won't work so well).
There are few odd things about Motion but overall it's an amazing app.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Zachary Elwood
on Apr 24, 2015 at 5:03:46 pm

Yeah, I do like how intuitive a lot of the stuff is and how easy it was to jump into. I'll give Motion the benefit of the doubt and assume I won't be running into such perplexing problems in future :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]