FORUMS: list search recent posts

spinning 3d object.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Tilling
spinning 3d object.
on Mar 19, 2015 at 12:00:49 pm

Hi I have a spinning 3D Logo. I want to have the logo so that when it spins around it doesn't change to backwards. Im sure this is possible somehow but I am pretty novice with using Motion 5. Can anyone help me (and put it in simple terms)
thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: spinning 3d object.
on Mar 20, 2015 at 9:32:10 am

How exactly are you getting a 3D logo in Motion? Motion has no 3D capabilities. Or are we talking about a CLIP of a spinning logo? mObject?

Either way, the only way would be to loop the spin the moment the object is at a right angle to the screen, which seems obvious. No idea what else you could do. Depending on how exactly you're getting this "3D", how fast it's spinning, what the logo looks like etc. etc. etc. it will likely be a tedious and inelegant solution either way.

- RK

Return to posts index

Jack Tilling
on Mar 20, 2015 at 11:16:02 am

thanks. I created a 3D Object by taking a logo (jpg) and importing it into motion. From there a used a replicator with 1 row and 1 column and set the depth to about 50 with 100 ranks. I then put a 'Spin' behaviour on the object.
I have now figured out the way to get the object to be the same both sides. I duplicated the replicator but set one of the cell control allignments to 180 Degrees. This way there is effectivly 2 objects both spinning in the same space at the same time but one is 180 degrees out from the other. Seems to work pretty well other than it slowing my Mac down a load as it struggles to render it. All fine when exported as a movie how ever. im sure there is a better way of doing this but in the hour of need it seemed to work! :)
Id still like to know what anyone else would do how ever so please keep posting!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:17:27 pm

Depending on the Logo, I'd most likely use mObject. Have never been much of a fan of the "replicator trick". But if it works for you... :)

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:04:31 pm

The replicator trick can be pretty amazing in the hands of folks like motionvfx and others. Even AE folks rarely use extrusion because of the horrible render times. mObject is great if you've got it. And right now they've dropped the price and it's on sale. If you use motion, I'd get it.

AE doesn't even have replicator, but check out this template from ironykdesign http://videohive.net/item/broadcast-design-complete-news-package-5/6058779

We used it for a series of news videos. All the chrome extruded text is nothing but repeated layers in 3D space. They have specific outlines and a specific front layer to get the effect. The beveled glass with it's refractions is amazing too, but the way it's done has to do with empty nested comp layers. Not sure if it would work in motion. It's almost a fluke of the way AE is designed.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 20, 2015 at 5:06:33 pm

[Bret Williams] "And right now they've dropped the price and it's on sale. If you use motion, I'd get it."

Mind you, not only have they dropped the price of everything to ridiculously low prices, they are even having a 30% off of everything sale for another week, yes... so that's even 30% MORE off of the aforementioned ridiculously low prices. The pro bundle at $100 is a complete no-brainer imho.

And the handling from within the mObject app is realtime, even with some of the most complex objects. AND you can add drop zines and more at your leisure.

So if Motion/FCP X and 3D is your thing, this is the plugin/app you want to get.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2015 at 12:00:47 pm

The logo could be mObject or extruded via a replicator. Either can be manipulated within motion and interact correctly with other layers and lights.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 28, 2015 at 9:04:14 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Mar 28, 2015 at 9:28:11 pm

You might also want to look into Boris Continuum Complete Extruded EPS. It's awesome for extruding customer's logos. Here is a two part tutorial that I did for Boris TV that does exactly what you are looking for using BCC Extruded EPS:

All of this was done in FCP X but you can use it in Motion as well if you want.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]