Text on video in perspective

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rudolf Holkers
Text on video in perspective
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:26:02 pm
Last Edited By Rudolf Holkers on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:29:28 pm

Hi guys,

I'm learning my way around motion, doing some graphics on a video showing a newly build building.
Now I want to make text on a door. The door is half open, so I want to make the text in perspective

I would like the "BED ROOM" text to fit on the door, like it's painted on there (making it stick with motion trakcer). I guess the letters on the end should be a little smaller then begin....

What's the best way to achieve this effect?

See below for image

http://www.film360.nl | video in healt care & education
Panasonic GH2 | FCPx

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Text on video in perspective
on Mar 6, 2015 at 10:52:26 am

If you're tracking it anyway, simply use the CORNER PIN tracker.

And you know that BEDROOM is one word, right? ;) [/smartass-mode]

- RK

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Mar 8, 2015 at 10:32:47 am

Rudolf, you might want to read this thread : Rotating licence plate

I wanted to create a new licence plate for a car to match one in the original footage. Simon Ubsdell suggested a great way of getting the perspective to match exactly, using a 3D camera and a grid.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 11, 2015 at 2:05:16 pm

Way more complicated than necessary for this. You don't need to even enter the world of 3D. What the OP is trying to do is a basic corner pin. No tracking needed unless the shot is moving.

For me, if it's locked, I'd make a rectangle behind the text in the same group that is the height and a little wider than the door and line it up with the left edge of the door. Then I'd corner pin the group so that the rectangle fits the door. The text will distort along with the rectangle. Then just turn off the door. Same could be accomplished with a grid. And you could probably just eyeball the corner pin without the rectangle if you understand just the basics of perspective.

A more appropriate tutorial...
https://www.rippletraining.com/free-videos/learn-how-to-replace-a-sign-in-m...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 11, 2015 at 2:09:05 pm

Gareth, you should turn that license plate into a Motion 5 template for FCP X. If you have the rights to the footage and all. Or perhaps shoot your own car. If you did it all in Motion instead of PS then it could all be rigged and editable right in X. Nice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]