FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion blurring individual aspects

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Remmenga
Motion blurring individual aspects
on Jan 7, 2015 at 8:47:47 pm

I'm trying to make an effect that uses a camera move, kind of like a shake, but way cooler. Anyway, I want to put a motion blur on the camera without effecting the image source. As I know it, the only way to add motion blur in Motion 5 is across the board in Render settings... Is there a way I can add one to just the camera movement and not the image source? It's killing me when I use the effect in FCPX and my build in is finished but the image ghosts out on me during the still parts. I know how to do it in AE, but I can't for the life of me figure this out in Motion 5.

Thanks!

Kyle

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Motion blurring individual aspects
on Jan 7, 2015 at 9:54:36 pm

I'm confused. What do you expect to get blurred if you "just" blur the camera? The camera itself can't be blurred, just what it sees. Which is everything.

I understand that in AE you can have layers selectively be affected by motion blur or not. Which has been useful at times. But usually it's one of those things that goes the other way in that I forget to turn on motion blur for a layer. Doh.

Return to posts index

Kyle Remmenga
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:08:51 pm

So this is what I want. The camera pushes in and I want a realistic motion blur. But I need to leave it there because the rest of the clip will now have a slightly zoomed in shot, so just cutting the clip in FCP is out of the question and would take more work to match the effect than to just build a keyframe in FCP.

SO, the motion effect has a build in of the camera move to it's resting place and holds. I want that push to have a motion blur.... BUT, not the rest. Dig? In motion 5, motion blur is a render setting. in after effects, I could simply cut the clip and make it unnaffected, but in motion 5, you can't do this. I'm looking for a work around.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:10:41 pm

Once the camera stops moving, there won't be any motion blur. Just like in AE. There is no need to cut the clip in either app.

Return to posts index

Kyle Remmenga
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:18:48 pm

That's what I thought at first too, but no. FCP will apply a continuous motion blur to the footage of the clip beyond that. It makes a god awful frame blended ghost out of your media.... Perhaps my FCPX is glitching?
But I have done two full reboots.

I am currently simulating motion blurs by using a bezier interpolation on a defocus filter. It's not pretty to build, but it works ok in FCP.

Still, I would rather find a way to just lock off the motion blur when Im finished with it.

Kyle

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:23:52 pm

[Kyle Remmenga] "I am currently simulating motion blurs by using a bezier interpolation on a defocus filter. It's not pretty to build, but it works ok in FCP. "

Huh? Why? When you move the camera, you get motion blur if you so choose to render it. Turn off your blur filter. That has NOTHING to do with the motion blur in the render settings you were speaking of earlier. THATs realistic motion blur. You can adjust the amount of motion blur (just like in AE, you weren't faking motion blur in AE too were you?) in the project settings. You can also adjust the number of samples. For real camera like motion blur you'll probably need to adjust to at least 12. The default is 8. But it depends on how fast the motion is. So, when your footage or camera stops moviing, nothing blurs. Real.

You can see it before rendering by turning it on in the viewer under the render menu.

Give it a whirl.

Return to posts index

Kyle Remmenga
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:40:44 pm

Don't think you get what I'm saying.

So let me start over.

What should happen, Camera pushes in, does it's shake settles down and comes to rest. Selecting motion blur in render output should make a nice blur during the movements. Everything should look great from then on.

what DOES happen is this:
Camera pushes in, does it's shake settles down and comes to rest. Selecting motion blur in render output makes a nice blur during the movements. The source (NOT in Motion, in FCPX since this is an effect not an animation) ghosts for the duration of the clip.

What I did to temporarily fix it:
Camera pushes in, does it's shake settles down and comes to rest. Deselecting motion blur in render output with no blur during the movements. I apply a blur filter and animate the amount from zero to 25% with bezier to keep it smooth and back down to zero after the move. Everything looks passable from then on.

The solution as is should be does not work.

Therefore, I am SIMULATING a motion blur through animating blurs. I know this is completely wrong, BUT I can do it this way for now while I find a solution to the problem.

It is a temporary fix 100% aside from the actual motion blur settings.

Kyle

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:43:43 pm

Ok, you're ADDING a motion blur effect because you don't think motion blur is working correctly in the template you've created inside FCP X. Right?

I just did a simple test and it works fine. So something is awry with your project or your system. Try this below. It's just a 2 keyframe effect of the camera zooming in. It zooms in and stops. There is no blur or ghosting after the camera move.

8380_quickbumpin.moef.zip

Return to posts index

Kyle Remmenga
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:54:50 pm

Pretty much what I figured.....

'll try this out. Thanks for the feedback

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 8, 2015 at 3:04:29 pm

I found an issue you might be having. If I apply the effect to a clip that doesn't match the sequence time base, like a 24p in a 30p sequence, then I get the ghosting when motion blur is enabled. My guess is the effect, uses the timebase of the sequence so the effect is blended across 30 frames. So I guess I'd call that a bug. When I make the clip "automatic speed" (conforming it to the timeline base, the ghosting disappears.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]