FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 5 title template with a fixed width frame around variable lines and lengths of text??

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Hall
Motion 5 title template with a fixed width frame around variable lines and lengths of text??
on Oct 7, 2014 at 10:41:45 pm

Hi there! I am working on a personal documentary about twenty years I've spent sharing my life on the web.
I am working to produce titles and illustrations that mirror the look & feel of web browsing at that time.

I want to create a Motion 5 title template with a multi-color frame around variable lines and lengths of text. I want that frame to say the same width and proportions as the text gets wider or has more lines.

Here's a picture of the HTML web version of what I'm after:

specifically, I hope I can reproduce this three-color corner:

and keep all the parts in proportion as the text box scales.

My example title above is short, with just a few words and two lines. Some of my titles are twice as wide or tall, so I want to see if I can create a multi-color border that keeps its proportions. Otherwise, I'll be screencapping out each of my titles from a copy of Netscape Navigator 9 that still runs on my 2014 Mac!

So now I am playing around in Motion 5, making layers of squares and testing test box borders. Let me know if you have any suggestions and I'll report back what I find!

If you're curious about my short doc about the web, there are more details here: http://20links.vhx.tv

Thanks,

Justin

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Motion 5 title template with a fixed width frame around variable lines and lengths of text??
on Oct 8, 2014 at 8:46:38 am

Here's a project that does the first two steps in one process automatically:

8076_border.thing.motn.zip

The surround auto-scales with the text, as does the first "bevelled" edge.

It uses a cunning workaround involving the Simple Border filter, as there's no other way (that I know of) for getting a graphic to scale with the text size.

Getting the outer "bevel" is more of a challenge but can probably be achieved with the same technique - if you have the patience to work it out, which I'm afraid I don't ...

Hope that helps.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Justin Hall
Re: Motion 5 title template with a fixed width frame around variable lines and lengths of text??
on Oct 8, 2014 at 4:30:44 pm

Wow Simon - that is fantastic and fast. Thank you for sharing this working project file! It's inspiring - you've created the first corner. I wonder if I can somehow embed this box within another box, to create the double-corner. But if I can't find a way to make an auto-scaling box with two layers of corners, you may have come up with a close-enough facsimile. I am much obliged! If I have any better luck in my exploration, I'll post an update here.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 8, 2014 at 7:18:26 pm

Glad you like it.

As I said, the next bit of the challenge is the really hard part, so good luck with cracking it ;-)

Please post a solution if you find one. I'd be really interested in where you get to.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]