FORUMS: list search recent posts

'Best' render settings worse resolution than 'Normal'

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon McClean
'Best' render settings worse resolution than 'Normal'
on Apr 28, 2014 at 1:50:42 am

Hi.

Motion is really annoying me at the moment. I've created a FCP generator which starts out close up on a replicator cell and zooms back from it. When I choose 'Best' render quality is appears very blurred (as it looks when in FCP). The 'Normal' or even 'Draft' quality is much better. Why is this? Please see screenshots.

Any help greatly appreciated

thanks,

Shannon

flickr.com/freekorps

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 'Best' render settings worse resolution than 'Normal'
on Apr 28, 2014 at 6:42:24 pm

Try un-checking Motion Blur.

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
on Apr 29, 2014 at 1:20:03 am

Hey, I've been using Motion for the past 5 years on over 400 projects and I still haven't figured out why this software has such bold bugs in it.
The reason why "best" is worse is because motion trys to make things easier for you and wants to blur things that it thinks is pixleated. So this is most likley due to a filter, blending mode, or scale. For me its almost always a fliter that does this.
With that said, despite our need to use what is supposed to he the best setting, normal mode and best aren't really much different in quality and often normal is better because it doesn't do the extra blur.

Hope this helps you.

Return to posts index

Shannon McClean
on Apr 29, 2014 at 7:15:34 am

Thanks for the explanation. I'll see if I can figure out if there's a filter or something causing this. So this is pretty useless for creating. FCP generators as I'm guessing it's always trying to use the 'best' settings. My workaround for the moment is just to export the project under 'normal' settings and import into FCP. Hope they fix this issue.

flickr.com/freekorps

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:00:50 am

I would pretty much bet the bank on user error as opposed to a "bug". No offense. But it's impossible to know for sure without looking at the actual project. If you're able to upload it somewhere, I could take a look. But with that said, BEST is really only of any value or use when you have things such as massively scaled vector graphics or fonts or the likes. Otherwise there's little to no reason or advantage to switching. It'll in fact most likely take a lot longer to export with no tangible difference in actual quality.

Return to posts index

Shannon McClean
on Apr 29, 2014 at 6:15:00 pm

I would welcome it being user error, if that meant I found a resolution. Please find attached a project highlight the issue. If you can explain what is going on and offer a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

Shannon

7424_blurrystickman.zip

flickr.com/freekorps

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 4, 2014 at 11:29:36 am

Okay. So only now have I gotten around to taking a good look. And I humbly admit, I was wrong with my assumption. My apologies. There is definitely something wrong going on. I have given it to "people that would know" and will let you know if I hear anything.

That said, I would personally suggest not using a PNG (rastered image) in the first place, let alone one that is so tiny. It will look crap at any setting when scaled to that degree. I made you a variation, but with a *vector* stickman. Even though it still blurs at best quality, it at least looks much better at normal quality.

https://copy.com/txVRc3lEKUb3ksQj

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on May 7, 2014 at 2:05:40 pm

FWIW, I've experienced this same problem, but only in Motion 4 - not in Motion 5 (which I've only recently switched to).

I've also had issues in Motion 4 with crashing or corrupted frames when rendering movies in Best quality that use very large vector images in conjunction with motion blur, such as zooming into title captions. I've yet to create any projects in 5 that might cause the same problems, but I'm obviously hoping that 5 can cope, being natively 64-bit and all.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:40:06 am

In case anyone is interested in the answer to this question, you need to select Custom from the Render Quality menu and turn off High Quality Resampling:

Best Quality in this case is trying to smooth out the edges of your replicator's bitmap (which is really a lot smaller than it should be for that amount of zoom) and that smoothing is the High Quality Resampling. Turning it off avoids that.

The advantage of High Quality Resampling is that it provides a good level of antialiasing and this is particularly important now that we have the 3D text tool, where you need to be careful to have this turned on in order to avoid aliasing artefacts.

Make sure you use Best Quality when rendering 3D text to avoid the "jaggies" (steppiness) in the example above.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]