FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to create the allusion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Breidbart
Trying to create the allusion
on Apr 17, 2014 at 6:21:54 pm

I'm trying to recreate the allusion of the red banner that looks like it's folded behind the blue rectangle.
It look's simple enough.
I was even given a big clue "the rounding is made of two masked and animated gradients", but still it has me scratching my head. I could use some help.
thanks in advance
BB

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Trying to create the allusion
on Apr 17, 2014 at 6:30:29 pm

I would use the Bezier tool to draw the shape. Then I would go to the Inspector, Shape, Style. change the Fill Mode from Color to Gradient and you will be able to achieve the same look.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 18, 2014 at 2:27:44 am

Stephen I'm a big fan, even own your Motion dvd, but I'm a visual guy could you send me some screen shots or something. I initially started with a rectangle and added points( same idea as the bezier tool i think ? ). The bottom was easy, one extra point that I lifted up. My problem is with the top section. Should I be changing from linear to smooth on the points ? There looks like there might be an indent filter,
but maybe it's just a copy of the original rectangle reduced in size and outlined filled or both.

thanks again

BB

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:36:54 pm

Thanks for purchasing my DVD. Here is a link to a quick tutorial I made to show you one way you can do it. Be sure to set the video to "Full Size Compressed" if it looks low quality:

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/gradient-in-motion-sample

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 18, 2014 at 6:27:43 pm

Glad it worked out. Happy to help.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:40:03 pm

Stephen I followed the link to our Vimeo page and "Italy time lapse " Molto Bello. I hope your shooting didn't interfere to much with the vacation.
But now I have more questions.
1) what did you shoot with ? You didn't bring a camera slider on vacation did you ?

2) luv the transitions, did you make them or are they available to purchase ? it looked like light leaks from a projector hiding transitions, maybe ?

3) what's the secrete to the time lapse that ends on a freeze of you with the camera push ?

Great Job.

BB

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 18, 2014 at 9:32:10 pm

Bruce, Molte grazie.

1. I shot with the Cannon T2i. I have an intervalometer that attaches to my camera so I can set it to take lots of photo over a distance of time. I didn't bring a slider and added the moves in After Effects.

2. I built some of the transitions in Motion and they can be purchased here on the COW: http://stockyard.creativecow.net/project-files/4812_light-leak-and-film-fla...

I'm working on updating my Light Leak transitions.

3. This was my first real attempt at Time lapse photography and a learned a lot from the experience and will do an even better job my next go around. For the freeze frame I walked in front of the camera once I new I had enough photos and stood there for about three photos and then did the move in After Effects.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 19, 2014 at 2:52:06 pm

Thanks
" I shot with the Cannon T2i. I have an intervalometer that attaches to my camera so I can set it to take lots of photo over a distance of time. I didn't bring a slider and added the moves in After Effects.

Were you shooting hundreds of photo's or close to a thousand ? You've got me interested, I need to do some more research to see if I can shoot jpegs & how long an interval to use ?

Can I assume Motion can handle the time lapse as a image sequence and adjust the timing in the timing pane ?

Can Motion recreate those camera moves you did in after effects ?

" I built some of the transitions in Motion and they can be purchased here on the COW"
I guess it's the combination with the transitions underneath the light leaks that makes the effect works so seamlessly. Was that done with Motion ?
Not sure the template is compatible with Motion 5 ?

Thanks for all your help

BB

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 21, 2014 at 7:22:32 pm

For my Italy Time lapse video each time lapse was about 5 seconds x 24 frames = 120 frames. However I did a lot of time lapses and the amount of pictures I took really added up. At night 5 seconds would take me about an hour during the day 5 to 20 minutes.

All of the camera moves I did in After Effects could be done in Motion. Check out this spot I did in Apple's Motion:

As for the Light Leak template I built in Motion, I only built it as a template so people could alter the light leak if they wanted to. What you do is take the video and place it above your clip in FCP and add a Screen or Add blend mode to the Light Leak clip or project file and it give it the look just like in my Italy Time lapse video.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:39:09 pm

Thanks again for getting back so quickly and all your help.
1) This weekend I'm going to try my first time-lapse, I guess there is a lot of trial & error.
2) Nice job on the spot ( vimeo.com)
3) I think I've watched your Italian video at least 20X's, 15x times just the first 3 shots.
I kept saying to myself that there must be a special transition going on underneath the light leak.
Now I'm thinking just cuts with speed changes/ speed reversal, a text that is moving off the screen and the light leaks. Am I getting closer ? It looks great. There is so much going on, yet so subtle.
4) I've got a lot to learn about Motions camera/3D, and now I've got something to simulate. Thanks
5) With your help I've gotten an acceptable gradient, boy is that tool exceptional. I'm now trying to create that inner border of the red banner. I've tried the indent filter & the drop shadow but non create the same effect. What am I mission ?

thanks
BB

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 22, 2014 at 3:53:12 pm

1. That is what I did. I ran two test before I went to Italy and the first one didn't work at all. I learned from that and got better.

2-3. Thanks.

5. Are you talking about the stitching on the ribbon or just the blue ribbon?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 22, 2014 at 4:52:38 pm

If you were to remove the text & blue rectangle/stitch and anything blue, you would be left with the red
rectangle that you help me create the gradient for. But if you look just inside the border frame of the red rectangle there looks to be an inner frame that looks indented, that's what I'm trying to create now with little success. I've tried copying the red gradient layer, adjusting the size down just a notch and adding an indent filter and also tried a shadow, but it doesn't look the same. Your thoughts would be grateful.

thanks in advance

BB

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 22, 2014 at 4:56:30 pm

Are you talking about the edge on the left side of the red ribbon?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 23, 2014 at 2:28:23 pm

This inner boarder ( which I'm calling it ) is on the left, right and bottom.
It's a 1/4 inch in on all sides except for the top, which might be masked out.
I hope this helps
BB

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:30:14 pm

I wish it was bigger. It is really hard to see. I would use the Bezier tool again and make the boarder. I would add a drop shadow and turn it into a gradient as well. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:18:48 pm

I tried to blow it up, hope this helps

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:23:39 pm

Yeah, I think it has a small drop-shadow to make it pop out.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 23, 2014 at 6:04:48 pm

I'll keep trying

thanks

BB

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 24, 2014 at 6:26:00 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 24, 2014 at 6:52:33 pm

This may not be what you're looking for, it's so hard to tell from the low-res framegrab:

If it's helpful here's a link to my Motion project:

http://tokyo-uk.com/downloads/Label.motn.zip

I made a smaller version of the main shape to sit over the top of the main one and then I used the Indent filter to get the inner edge effect.

EDIT: I meant to add that if you make the inner shape darker you can create the inward bevel that you see above, while making it brighter creates an outward bevel.

Hope that helps in some way.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Apr 24, 2014 at 7:13:00 pm

That's it exactly.
I used the indent filter on all my versions, but it didn't turn out as good as yours (A tool in the right hands).
The colorize filter helps to.

Thanks again Simon

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 24, 2014 at 7:16:21 pm

Well, that's good to hear, Bruce :)

Sounds as though you've been having a bit of s struggle on this one.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 24, 2014 at 8:26:45 pm

Simon, that looks great!

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 24, 2014 at 8:51:23 pm

Thanks, Stephen.

I'm a bit of a one-trick pony with my filters - I always reach for Indent first and hope it does the job ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]