FORUMS: list search recent posts

Branded/burned in logo animation

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Branded/burned in logo animation
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:14:12 am

Anyone know his to create this in Motion 5?

I'm looking to create a logo being burned into a wood texture, without any flames. Almost like an ink splotch animation in the sense of the way logo fades in randomly but with a burned texture and maybe a little smoke. Think of a wood burning tool or brand.

Here is a link to an AE thread which looks like he nailed but not being in front of my Mac and on my ipad I can't see if the project is still available. I want to do this in Motion.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/834137

OSX 10.7.5 with a 3.39 Ghz Intel Core i7 on a built up Hackintosh
16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Branded/burned in logo animation
on Apr 16, 2014 at 10:52:41 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 16, 2014 at 11:25:25 am

Try using the Crystallise filter (with the Speed set to zero) to roughen the edges of a copy of your logo or text or whatever.

Then use the Matte Magic tool to erode the result - if you then animate the erode back down to zero, you'll get a nice growing organic edge.

Use a couple of layers with different settings and colours.

Try using something like the Smokey Variation particle emitter (or your own variant of it) to create the smoke. In the Emitter controls set the Shape to Image and the Arrangement to Outline and add your logo to the image well.

It's a good idea to add camera shake to simulate the effect of the brand hitting the wood, but then you probably know that.

Hope that helps a bit.

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 16, 2014 at 11:44:09 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:10:52 pm

Another way of doing it, rather than using the Matte Magic filter which might not give you enough control, is to use a Gaussian Blur on top of the Crystallize filter and then use a Levels filter and animate the White In value of the Alpha channel.

You can get q pretty nice organic growing effect that way.

Here's a really rough test to show you what I mean:

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:16:27 pm

Thanks Simon. I think I'm following you. I'm using your first response as a guideline and the Matte Magic is working nicely. But now that I see your test, I think I like that even better. Only I confused and can't replicate this. Using the crystalize filter, blur and levels on what? I can't get the matte or alpha right. What alpha? You say use crystalize on a copy of the logo. Then do what with that? Is there a blend mode I'm missing.

In using Matte Magic, I think the erode function works. I have it coming in from nothing. Which in reality seems weird. I like your effect with the sudden appearance and continuous burn with outlines growing. This reflects an actual brand, where mine with matte magic erodes in, like ink splotches on paper. Plus on mine, the smoke matted to the logo works, but is too large and spills over to areas where the logo isn't. Having trouble keeping that just to the size of the logo.

Any chance you could let me look at your project file? I'd show you where I am, but need to protect my clients identity.

16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:24:40 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:03:47 pm

Hi Matt

Sorry, I probably didn't explain any of that very well.

Here's a download link for my (very rough) project file which might help:

http://tokyo-uk.com/downloads/BrandingIron.motn.zip

You'll need to replace the wood background with your own texture but otherwise it should work - hopefully.

Let me know if you need any more help with it.

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:38:32 pm

Dude. Thanks a million. I'll see what I can do. I really like the continuous bleed of the burn. Really making it feel like a brand. appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 16, 2014 at 7:15:32 pm

No problem.

Hope you can make some sense of my Motion project. Let me know if you need any explanation.

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 16, 2014 at 9:35:37 pm

Simon, the project makes sense for the most part, but I just can't figure out how to apply what you did to create that bleeding burn feel to my logo. Your base later in the inner part of your logo and the 1 above with the image mask is for the outter part of the logo, the part that spreads outward.

Here's where I am. Its ok, but want to get that branded feel you have vs. a saturating ink splotch type feel. The problem I'm having is the the logo was created in photoshop with different layer styles and rasterized out. So I have 3 layer of that logo in MOTN. highlights, actual logo and wind burned shadows to help sell the burn in. let me know what you think.

branding iron

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 17, 2014 at 8:34:17 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:48:18 pm

I'd say that looks really very nice - conceptually I'm finding it hard to buy a branding effect that just slowly materialises out of nothing rather than being stamped on in the usual way but I'm sure there are reasons why you need to stick with this.

Are you using the crystallise idea to expand the edges? If so you might just want to exaggerate that for more of an effect or maybe use more instances of it.

Using the Color Burn blend mode is going to help the burn effect of the edges so try using that if possible.

What I did, as you may notice, was to treat the expanding edges separately from the main logo and use the alpha of the logo to isolate them. That might help you here, especially since you are dealing with a PSD with its own details rather than the solid black that I was using.

You'll also notice that I used the Wave filter with a very small wavelength on one of the layers which helps create an effect that matches into the wood grain. Again you might find that helpful. I picked up that tip from this nice little Photoshop tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUJxsdmR-Ik#aid=P-VjNjkDUD0

I also used the inner shadow idea mentioned there, which I created with a black solid and a couple of masks because of course there's no built-in inner shadow in Motion.

Here's another quick test I did where I used a high contrast B&W version of the wood texture as a luminance mask for the expanding sections which I think helps the look:

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 17, 2014 at 3:33:51 pm

Ah crystalize was doing that. I thought the levels was growing that out. I'm still tweaking, but I've since reworked a bit because I agree about the believability of a brand just appearing and bleeding in. So I've mimic'd the stamp and have the logo soft and faded as it becomes more sharp and defined. All the while the layer underneath, I used the vector art, removed the fill, and just used a black stroke outline. The using a combination of things to create the bleeding scorch marks. I have to keep this subtle as to not mess with the legibility too much. But we're liking this better.

How's this? Its easier to see on my 1080 project, but gives you the idea. The fill of the logo only darkens a little but the background scorch darkens more growing outward giving the effect of the burn.

brand iron 2

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 17, 2014 at 3:53:53 pm

Great job. That looks really cool as far as the animation is concerned.

The only thing I'd say about the overall look is that the design of the logo makes it look as though it's being viewed from above at an angle so I'm getting visually confused about it's relationship to the wood which is viewed flat on.

Which means that from a photorealism point of view I'm not being 100% sold on the idea that the logo is being branded into the wood.

Maybe the logo design is just on a slant so it's giving a false impression, in which case my point is irrelevant. But if this isn't the case I would try and line up the viewing angle of the wood layer (by rotating it backwards on X) to make it match.

I'd maybe even consider adding some shallow depth of field so that the table foreground and background are out of focus with the middle ground where the logo is as the only fully sharp area.

Just an idea ... I'll shut up ;-)

Looks great otherwise.

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]