FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing 2 objects in a group with 2 layers of a PSD file

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Cook
Replacing 2 objects in a group with 2 layers of a PSD file
on Mar 21, 2014 at 10:01:14 pm

If I want to replace an object in the layers panel with another file from the file browser I just drag and drop it on top of the object. But I have a group with 2 objects in it (created from a 2 layer PSD) and I need to take the 2 layers from a different PSD and replace those 2 objects in my Motion project. When I drag and hold a PSD file from the browser onto an empty part of the layers panel it gives me the option to use a flattened version, all layers, or I can choose an individual layer (which is awesome)

but when I drag that PSD onto one of the object in the layers panel with the intention of replacing it, I get no options and it just replaces it with a flattened version. (not good)

If I drag the PSD into the panel and create a new group with individual layers and then drag a layer onto the object in another group, it won't allow me to replace it. Only add it to the group. (ARGH!!)

What I'm doing is duplicating the original group with resizing and key framing in tact, moving it forward in time, and attempting to just replace the images...all so I don't have to redo my key framing every time. Time is of the essence since I have to do it 159 times. I need the most efficient workflow possible.

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Replacing 2 objects in a group with 2 layers of a PSD file
on Mar 21, 2014 at 10:39:35 pm

[Brent Cook] "Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do?"

Yes, and it's not difficult either. Drop the PSD on top of the clip you want to replace. Then go to the properties tab in the inspector. Down near the bottom is a section called Media (usually it's hidden). Click show to view it. Make sure that the media is showing your PSD. Below the image well you'll see a drop down for Layer. Choose the correct layer and it'll update.

Hope this helps.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
Re: Replacing 2 objects in a group with 2 layers of a PSD file
on Mar 21, 2014 at 10:45:40 pm

Boom! You're 2 for 2, man! Thanks!

It'd be nice if it gave you the same pop up options as a drag and drop into the panel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]