FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mass moving items (and keyframes) in the timeline

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Coppock
Mass moving items (and keyframes) in the timeline
on Feb 20, 2014 at 12:10:25 am

When working in Motion, there are often occasions when I realize I need a little more (or less) time within an animation. But once I'm deep into the project, I don't know of a good way to insert time (or remove it) between animation events.

I'm aware that I can select all items, view keyframes, and then move those keyframes. But then I'm left with a bunch of objects and behaviors whose in/out points on the timeline are wrong.

Is there no "easy" way to take everything from a certain point on the timeline and "shove it right," for example? My current brute-force methods are easy to screw up and are terribly time-consuming!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Mass moving items (and keyframes) in the timeline
on Feb 20, 2014 at 12:24:05 am

There's no magic bullet here since the complexity of trying to do what you want is entirely dependent upon the complexity of the project.

You can fairly easily move keyframed animation down the project timeline, and you can change the start and ends of behaviors easily. But how those two things react to one another can only be determined by how you've set up your project.

If all you're doing is keyframe animation, then lasso the keyframes and move them, or use the box tool to shrink or stretch them. If all you're using are behaviors, then adjust the INs and OUTs on the layers so that non-animated moments have no behaviors applied.

Perhaps if you can provide an example of something you're trying to do and having trouble I can be of more specific help.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Benjamin Coppock
on Feb 20, 2014 at 12:35:24 am

Your response is helpful, Andy — I really don't think there's a way to do what I hoped.

Not sure exactly how to give an example, but in my project yesterday I was asked to "just repeat that animation a few more times." But the particular segment was right in the middle of my project. Just repeating what I had previously done wasn't as simple as the requestor thought because I had a mix of keyframe-based animation, behavior-base animation, some objects that lasted through the whole project, and other objects that came and went. Kind of a nightmare to jump in and add several more seconds in the middle of the project.

I was hoping there was a way to select everything after a certain frame and just push it all to the right. I realize that would potentially mean altering the length of certain animations and the life of objects in the timeline (because their out point would be moving farther from their in point), but it would have been really handy to do that...and easier to clean up the small amount of breakage it might have caused. On the other hand, moving keyframes (or moving objects in my timeline) literally guaranteed I'd have lots of breakage that was confusing to fix.

I got through it, but it wasn't fun! :)

Thanks for your answer.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 20, 2014 at 12:42:50 am

Well, there are a couple of tricks that could help regarding repeating animation. If it were keyframes only, you could use the "repeat keyframes" feature. If you don't know about it, you can check out my tutorial on advanced keyframing in Motion. It'll be towards the end.

Since you have a mix of keyframes and behaviors, that won't work fully for you so you could try the clone trick. That's where you place your animation in a group and then clone the group. You turn off the group and use the clone like a clip that you can trim and reclone or duplicated to repeat complicated animations. Maybe something there would help you?

Andy

Return to posts index

Benjamin Coppock
on Feb 20, 2014 at 1:26:49 am

Thanks for the tutorial. I haven't used the "transform keyframes" tool, and I haven't used the "repeat" feature for keyframes, either. Very helpful stuff!

But alas, I described the situation poorly. It's not so much my animation that repeats, it's more a "style" with slightly varied animations that are all a little complex.

The project is a demo of someone interacting with a hypothetical tablet-based app. There's an object spinning on screen, and when the user tap that object the object grows a bit in size, reverses it's spin, and changes color. Then when they let go, the object shrinks, reverses it's spin again, and goes back to its "normal" color.

Since each interaction with the on-screen object involves dragging it to a new location, it seems to me that each animation is slightly unique. Plus, I think the spinning is messing me up. I just don't know how to pull that off cleanly without a behavior, and then the fact that the spinning is changing speed and direction means I also need keyframes...quite a mess.

All of this plus the fact that I wanted to give myself several more seconds in the middle of the project in order to demo this particular style of user interaction before moving on to demoing another idea.

Thanks again for your ideas and responses. Really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 20, 2014 at 1:49:27 am

Well, based on your description, I would myself tried to do everything with behaviors so that position could change but the resize/spin animation wouldn't, but it's hard to say if I'd be able to without seeing the project.

There's one other thing you can try, but I hesitate to mention it because once you do it, you can't really go back. You can convert behavior animation into keyframes which would then give you keyframes for all your animation and make adding space a little easier.

You select the behavior and I think the shortcut is CMD+Y. Not sitting at a machine so I'm not entire positive. Doing it will remove the behavior from your layer and replace it with keyframed animation. Useful, but then you use the duplicating usefulness of behaviors.

Andy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:55:16 am

Why not render out the repeating portion e.g. via the "Export Selection" command, re-import (which unfortunately isn't automatic anymore since v5) and use as needed? Or is that not feasible?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]