FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recreating a RGB Trails/Delay effect in Motion.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierce Wilson
Recreating a RGB Trails/Delay effect in Motion.
on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:09:13 pm

I have been having some trouble recreating the RGB trails effect found in VDMX in Apple Motion. I don't actually need to see each RGB value shifted, but instead have them all blur and slow down. The Time Trails effect is the closest I've come to the effect, however it isn't quite as smooth as I would like.
I made an example video to show the effect in use. I want to replicate the effect when each channel has the same amount of delay, which gives all motion a blur, however in the sample video I did a few segments with only individual channels being delayed to give a better impression of the effect.

If anyone has any idea how to re-create this I would be ecstatic.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Recreating a RGB Trails/Delay effect in Motion.
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:36:38 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:40:02 pm

Try duplicating your video layer three times and applying the Trails filter to each.

Set the second and third layers' Blend Mode to Add.

Then add a Channel Mixer filter to each layer.

Set the lowest layer Channel Mixer to 1.0 on Red-Red and 0.0 on the other channels (leaving Alpha-Alpha at 1.0).

Set the next layer up to 1.0 on Green-Green and 0.0 on the other channels.

Set the top layer to 1.0 on Blue-Blue and 0.0 on the other channels.

Then adjust the Trails for each layer to get a suitable offset.

Or you could do away with the Trails filter and simply offset the timing of the three layers - I prefer that look personally.

That should do it.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Pierce Wilson
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:26:39 pm

Thanks a lot for your help! I tried it out, and unfortunately I don't think its the look I was going for. I don't want the channels to be offset at all, but instead have any motion in the shot blurred and trailing. Do you know of anyway to smooth/blur the trail effect so it is more like the video I posted? It seams like adding more echoes gets close to this, however even at 30 each "echo" is visible, and the motion isn't completely blurred.

Return to posts index

Pierce Wilson
on Jan 15, 2014 at 1:03:53 am

Ive discovered that with some tweaking, the Wide Time filter can do close enough of what I want it to do!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]