FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion balloon burst?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Breanne Sullivan
motion balloon burst?
on Oct 16, 2013 at 4:02:53 am

hi! i have a video clip of balloons in the sky, i am new to motion and was wondering how i could make them burst and have glitter/pixie-dust fall down from them? i also want to add the falling glitter on top of another clip i have that will be played after the balloon burst. i have found a couple tutorials online for glitter/pixie- dust, however none of them look very real to me. i want it to look like actual glitter not that standard "computer glitter". any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
Re: motion balloon burst?
on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:39:54 am

Hi Breanne

I did a glitter explosion a while back using emitters.

Glitter emitter

The trick is to have an emitter with a large initial number of paricles with the speed set to 0. Then keyframe the speed to a high number to create te explosion.
To make the particles fall realistically, use Gravity.

I'm including my source file for you to take a look at.
6643_glitteremitter.zip

Hope that helps point you in the right direction

Return to posts index

Breanne Sullivan
on Oct 16, 2013 at 5:54:21 pm

thank you so much Anders! that should be very helpful. Thank you for your kindness!

Return to posts index

Breanne Sullivan
on Oct 17, 2013 at 4:49:33 am

i think im getting a lot closer! i am trying to match the movement of the balloon since it is a shaky video clip. i am getting a drag from the particles when i do that as in the picture. any suggestions? is there another way to do this? i have tried the image stabilization however it required zooming in too much for what i needed.

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Oct 17, 2013 at 1:04:04 pm

If a balloon pops and sends glitter flying, then that glitter wouldn't follow the remaining intact balloons. So you shouldn't match move to them.
The glitter should, however, be matched to the movements of the camera. This can be done, i assume, by:
- Stabilize you footage
- Apply an Unstabilize behavior to the group containing your emitter
- Select the stabilization track from your footage as the source for the Unstabilize behavior
- Turn off stabilization on the balloon footage.

I've never tried this with an emitter, so there might be something I'm missing. If it acts up, try using the same procedure on a clone of the emitter group.

Let me know how that works out

Return to posts index

Breanne Sullivan
on Oct 17, 2013 at 10:23:27 pm

i decided to key out the background and replace it with some clouds. this way the balloons will be all that move so i wont have to worry about the shaky footage, as it doesn't matter if the balloons are floating around. This is my first project in motion and i havent worked much with keying. im not sure how to remove the trees out of the image. do i have to mask the balloon movement frame by frame or is there a more simple option? thaks again for all your help!

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Oct 21, 2013 at 8:25:06 pm

You can use a "garbage matte" to get rid of the trees.
Simply use a mask to roughly hide anything but the area of the screen containing the balloons.
Depending on how much you camera moves you may have to animate the mask.
Do the balloons fly behind the trees at any point? Because that will complicate things quite a bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]