FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simon Ubsdell's Motion Tutorials

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Toth
Simon Ubsdell's Motion Tutorials
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:55:02 pm

If you are at all interested in Motion, you need to check out Simon Ubsdell's tutorials on YouTube. Beyond the basic tutorial, you will learn a number of techniques in Motion that are applicable to many uses beyond the tutorial subject. Simon is way too humble!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c46tWEb2grLQ95OGLxBJQ

anickt

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
Re: Simon Ubsdell's Motion Tutorials
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:44:11 pm

Yeah, totally agree. Simon's tutorials are great. Personally I feel his stuff should be added to the COW Tutorials Site/Podcast so that it can reach the maximum number of users (obviously if Simon is cool with doing that).

Right now they're kind of getting lost among the various posts on this forum. I hadn't looked in for a few days and totally missed his latest one, but if it'd had been on the COW, it would have shown up in iTunes.

Think about it Simon. And thanks for the tuts so far!

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:50:27 pm

Thanks, Sandeep. Glad to hear these are useful to you - that means a lot to me knowing how skilled you are in Motion. And thanks, of course, to Nick for the very kind recommendation.

To be honest, I'm quite surprised at how few views any of these tutorials have received - probably cos they're not actually any good of course, but if I hadn't signed my cat up to be one of my YouTube subscribers I'd only have about two views per tutorial.

I'm guessing I'm pitching them to an audience that probably doesn't exist for Motion, which is a big shame. Not because I care that much about anyone watching my tutorials but because I'd really like to see Motion gain wider adoption - and acceptance for the pretty amazing tool it is.

I can start to see why Apple have only pushed development so far and no further - they're probably never going to attract any users from among the vast group who'd rather be using the industry-standard Ae because of the cachet that using it brings. You can do so much of the same stuff in Motion but at that level it's just not cool to be seen to be using it.

Some kid in his bedroom will get tens of thousands of views for showing you yet again how to make 3D text using a replicator, but more advanced tutorials aren't going to get much traction.

I should of course add that folks like Mark Spencer (of course) and Andy Neil and Stephen Smith have done an amazing job at creating tutorials that appeal both to the beginner and the more experienced user ... so maybe I should just get my coat :(

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:54:34 pm

Please keep it up Simon, you are doing great work - it takes awhile....

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 13, 2013 at 8:04:43 pm

[Mark Spencer] "Please keep it up Simon, you are doing great work - it takes awhile...."

Wow, thanks Mark!!!! I really appreciate it :)

I'll keep plugging away and see where we get to - I guess what I really need is a green screen studio, a desk, and a willing sidekick ;-) Oh, and some better material would help, of course.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Sep 13, 2013 at 8:13:20 pm

They're not just good tutorials Simon, they're terrific - and they do deserve to be seen by more than just Nick, your cat, Mark and I :)

But as I mentioned above, they need to be more accessible - not in terms of content, but in terms of where they're announced. For instance I have Marks stuff on my iTunes podcast list so I get to see his material whenever he releases it. I see Andy's and Stephen's and Kevin's videos as well because the Cow Tutorials thing is also on my iTunes list.

I totally missed yours because I wasn't on the forums for a week! And the Cow, god bless her is hardly the most organized place on the internet...

[Simon Ubsdell] "I can start to see why Apple have only pushed development so far and no further - they're probably never going to attract any users from among the vast group who'd rather be using the industry-standard Ae because of the cachet that using it brings. You can do so much of the same stuff in Motion but at that level it's just not cool to be seen to be using it."

They've completely ballsed up their marketing for Motion. It's non existent, they made a sort of brief push when it first came out and then just gave up. I just posted on the FCPX forum that they need to show us why we should care about X, and they need to do that x10 for Motion.

But as long as they don't discontinue it, those of us in the know can get things done quicker and do less work for the same invoice amount as the guy sitting on AE.

[Simon Ubsdell] "so maybe I should just get my coat :("

What's the hurry ? Stay a while :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]