FORUMS: list search recent posts

layer "dimming" when another layer becomes visible over it

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Bass
layer "dimming" when another layer becomes visible over it
on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:07:36 pm

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Sorry if the title's a little unclear. Here's the deal: I have a scene in "space" (quotes indicate space is create in Illustrator). So I have this space layer. Then, space catches on fire ("whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????" Just go with it). So the fire is one of the stock pieces of video included with motion, with a particle emitter on a layer underneath (so a group).

My issue is that I have the fire group fade on quickly, and during that fade, I can see the space layer dim/change luminance just ever so slightly.

It doesn't do it when the fire layer is turned off, and I was able to make it stop doing that by setting the blend mode on the fire group to screen instead of normal, but then it looks weird and terrible.

I tried compensating for the dim by adding a keyframed brightness filter to the space group and just matching the original brightess. It works okay but I can still see a very slight change when that fire comes in.

Then I had the idea to export the fire and space separately as movies, and make a new motion project where I put the fire movie on top of the space. Genius right? I know, that's why I'm one of Mensa's top people.

Somehow, the dimming still occurs even when dealing with just movie files!

So I'm stumped now.

Any idea what's going on here? I couldn't find any options for the alpha channel (only thing I can think of) like FCP has (eg. straight/black/white/etc.) in Motion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]