FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion feature requests: FIle Collection options

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Udell
Motion feature requests: FIle Collection options
on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:46:21 pm

Hey all....

I'd love to be able to Pick and choose which assets get collected and perform a collect on a project with some disconnected assets....

it would make working in a shared environment a lot friendlier.

Anyone know a way around this? Or can you point me in the direction of where to make feature requests?

thanks!

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Motion feature requests: FIle Collection options
on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:07:01 pm

[Alex Udell] "and perform a collect on a project with some disconnected assets...."

Can you explain with an example what you mean by this? I'm not sure I get what you're saying.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jul 17, 2013 at 6:26:17 pm

Hey Andy....

We work on a SAN....

Some assets are library oriented and should stay in place in the san and NOT be replicated.

Some assets are created (like title PSD etc) and are specific to a project and thus are generally kept local to the machine the project was originally created on.

I'd like the option to say let's make a collect, but explude elements I identify (my SAN/library elemets as an example) because when I open the project on the other machine, it will see the path anyway.

But these unique onces I want to include in the collect so that the persoon opening it on the other end will have them.

Also...right now (at least b4 M5) if any item in your media panel is not connected, you can not invoke a collect at all....motion just blinks at you until you reconnect all inlinked assets...

it would be nice if you didn't have to do that....and it would just collect what Is connected....

Does that help?

thanks...

Alex

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 17, 2013 at 8:36:25 pm

Ok. I see now. I think it would be a decent idea, but I can see why they don't have it implemented as a feature. Since you can use a Motion project inside FCPX without needing Motion, a "pick and choose" consolidation of assets would lead to a lot of offline FCPX custom effects probably.

As far as workarounds:

If you collect everything, then any machine with either Motion or FCPX would be able to properly play the project. Motion library assets are not that large to begin with, so I don't really see the need to not collect them all outside of a desire not to duplicate media over the course of several projects. But if you absolutely don't want to have duplicated Library material...

You can manually collect your material by creating a project folder for your project (the same way that Motion does when you choose to "collect") and store your created media there. Then don't do a collection at the end, and just copy the project and the folder over to other machines. Because you didn't do a collection, then the library material will still point to the library pathway, and the other machine will have the created material in an easy to access folder. It'll probably be offline, unless your machines have machine hard drive names, but it'll relink easy.

But I guess this is to say there isn't an "easy" work around. Just what's possible.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jul 17, 2013 at 11:26:50 pm

I see your point....

While the assets aren't big...compared to traditional NLE.....it can get time comsuming waiting for copies of things you don't need to copy.

we don't really use NLE's around here. Our workflow is centered around building in Mo Graf, so Motion and AE is where 99.9% of the action is.

Without the option...a good answer is really to set up project spaces on the SAN as opposed to local machines....

then assets are all network shares/paths so then there's no file collecting at all.

We'll probably move that way in the long run....

thanks for the assist.

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]